Anti-vuvuzela filters and plugins

News dal mondo dell' I.T.C. Partecipa anche tu.
NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Anti-vuvuzela filters and plugins

Post by NicCo »

Source:
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100621#news
Finally, somewhat off-topic, but sometimes it can't hurt to add an amusing twist to the serious world of free software. During the last couple of weeks the infamous vuvuzela, obnoxiously accompanying every single match at the ongoing football world cup in South Africa, has become a source of irritation to many football fans around the world. The sound of the tuneless horn is reportedly not so bad when absorbing it in a stadium, but it tends to spoil the experience for those who watch the spectacle on TV. If you are among those who can't stand the racket but enjoy watching sporting events on a computer, a number of solutions exists to help you keep sane during the matches. Fedora users can filter the unpleasant sound by following this simple guide, while Ubuntu fans could use a VLC plugin called VuvuzeLAUTLOS. There is also a devuvuzelator for Mac OS X users. But perhaps the most elegant solution has been provided by André Dieb who suggests an excellent one-liner (for GStreamer on Debian-based distributions to filter out the unpleasant sound frequencies. The code looks like this:

gst-launch-0.10 autoaudiosrc ! audioconvert ! audiochebband mode=band-reject lower-frequency=223 upper-frequency=243 type=2 ripple=50 ! audiochebband mode=band-reject lower-frequency=456 upper-frequency=476 type=2 ripple=50 ! audiochebband mode=band-reject lower-frequency=922 upper-frequency=942 type=2 ripple=50 ! audiochebband mode=band-reject lower-frequency=1854 upper-frequency=1874 type=2 ripple=50 ! audioconvert ! autoaudiosink

We haven't tried this solution so use at your own risk! Now, does anybody have a solution to filter out the poor performances of some of the star-studded teams that play at the tournament? ;-)
Per chi, come me, trova assolutamente irritante il frastuono delle vuvuzela, mentre si cerca di guardare un incontro in tranquillità, si è mosso anche il mondo del software, per cercare di ridurre o eliminare del tutto tale disturbo dall'audio delle partite di calcio del Mondiale 2010.0, viste ed ascoltate attraverso il PC.

E così vengono proposte diverse soluzioni, consistenti in vari filtri e plugin, che potrete provare.
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL

aapgorilla
Utente junior
Utente junior
OpenMandriva: cooker
Kernel: 2.6.31
Desktop: kde

Re: Anti-vuvuzela filters and plugins

Post by aapgorilla »

I need this on my TV, it's driving me crazy

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Re: Anti-vuvuzela filters and plugins

Post by NicCo »

aapgorilla wrote:I need this on my TV, it's driving me crazy
So, go here:
http://genuinepulse.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... ilter.html

and use PC this as a powerfull equalizer for you TV set!
Connect your TV sound output to your computer microphone/audio input (usually pink or blue connectors) and then your PC output (green connector) back to the TV (most modern TV's have blue-colored audio input jacks on the back panel). That's it. You have vuvuzela-free world cup games :-), for free.
bye,
NicCo
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL