a kernel patch surprise

General conversations about MIB project
Forum rules
Image
Before you post, please read forum rules:
Software requests - How to
Tag [SOLVED] in topics
User avatar
sameeer_45
Utente
Utente
Posts: 135
Joined: 1 November 2010, 10:14
ROSA: 2012 desktop
OpenMandriva: 2011.0
Kernel: 2.6.38
Desktop: KDE 4.4.6
country: ksa

a kernel patch surprise

Post by sameeer_45 »

i heard a lot of news about there is a patch (( 233 or 242 line )) has been add to kernel

from third party after that thing linux speed jump up to 20x

linus was surprised by that thing and says that changing will be add in the new kernel

version

not to 2.6.37 but it will be in 2.6.38

is there anyway that mib developers can do that

because that changing will not be avilable until 2012 as i heard

User avatar
NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore
Posts: 4740
Joined: 6 December 2007, 19:54

Re: a kernel patch surprise

Post by NicCo »

Yes, we know it,
but we also know that it's a work in progress, not in stable form, that patch changes everyday

We are already experimenting with that patch since a few weeks,
so when we'll have something working real well, we'll advice all
.
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL

User avatar
steros
Utente junior
Utente junior
Posts: 59
Joined: 10 December 2009, 10:29
ROSA: 2012.1
OpenMandriva: -
Kernel: 3.10.21-nrjQL
Desktop: Kde 4
country: Italy

Re: a kernel patch surprise

Post by steros »

Steros - Mdv Rosa 2012.1 x86_64 - KDE 4

User avatar
NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore
Posts: 4740
Joined: 6 December 2007, 19:54

Re: a kernel patch surprise

Post by NicCo »

Reading more:

Lennart Poettering, propose userspace solution without involving any kernel or systemd patching
http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/11/16/330

Linus Torvalds, prefers a kernel solution, and for all users, including those have old distributions
http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/11/16/351

So, it seems to me, he prefers a global approach putting this patch in all kernel, also old kernels:
I think that new kernel mantaining versions, even for old kernels, could include the soluction!


===================================================================================

The userspace solution could be interesting to test really something,
but unluckly those commands lines don't work in Mandriva:
Can someone adapt this solution writing the proper code lines for Mandriva Linux?


bye,
NicCo
.
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL

ominomichelin
Utente
Utente
Posts: 141
Joined: 28 March 2009, 18:19
OpenMandriva: 2009.1 x86_64
Kernel: 2.6.29.1

Re: a kernel patch surprise

Post by ominomichelin »

already tested both solution , but ...
in mdv to create and give all permissions of ccgroup and to mount proc as a FS
and give 777 to MP is a utopia , such a system will last till a reboot,
sys/proc/fs should be edited from init0, so IMO Tornwalds has right as usual :D
anyway I have a build of 2.6.36.2 patched now in testing keep in touch
http://www.mandrivausers.ro/ MRB aint no shit , :p Linux user number 507107 Nu dați banii pe prostii, puneți Linux pe PISI !

User avatar
NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore
Posts: 4740
Joined: 6 December 2007, 19:54

Re: a kernel patch surprise

Post by NicCo »

Kernel 2.6.36.x NRJ NRJ+PAE will meet this patch (most recent version) in its next version (2.6.36.1)

bye,
NicCo
.
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL

User avatar
NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore
Posts: 4740
Joined: 6 December 2007, 19:54

Re: a kernel patch surprise

Post by NicCo »

NicCo wrote:Kernel 2.6.36.x NRJ NRJ+PAE will meet this patch (most recent version) in its next version (2.6.36.1)

bye,
NicCo
W.I.P. :D, and testing phase for 2010.1/64bit...

More info:
http://www.vivarealbrazil.com/more-info ... uler-patch
.
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL

User avatar
NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore
Posts: 4740
Joined: 6 December 2007, 19:54

Re: a kernel patch surprise

Post by NicCo »

First kernel 2.6.36.1 results, with new scheduler patch V3, are really astonishing!

I prepared also a patch for vmware 7.1.x / vmplayer 3.1.x:
now working and in testing, it seems vmware / vmplayer works GREAT too!

I hope I'll could give you all the instructions to download new kernels, within a few hours

bye,
NicCo
.
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL

User avatar
mardok
Utente junior
Utente junior
Posts: 58
Joined: 9 July 2010, 10:45
OpenMandriva: 2010.2
Kernel: 2.6.38.6-desktop-nrj
Desktop: KDE 4.5.5
country: ITALIA
Location: BARI -> PADOVA

Re: a kernel patch surprise

Post by mardok »

Finito di installare una 20' fa 2.6.36.1-desktop-nrj.69mib su Mandriva 2010.1 kde 453 x86_64
Una reattività mai vista prima su una delle mie macchina davvero eccezionale

Code: Select all

H/W path               Device      Class       Description
==========================================================
                                   system      To Be Filled By O.E.M.
/0                                 bus         G31M-GS
/0/0                               memory      64KiB BIOS
/0/4                               processor   Pentium(R) Dual-Core  CPU      E5200  @ 2.50GHz
/0/4/5                             memory      64KiB L1 cache
/0/4/6                             memory      2MiB L2 cache
/0/e                               memory      2GiB System Memory
/0/e/0                             memory      2GiB DIMM SDRAM Synchronous
/0/e/1                             memory      DIMM [empty]
/0/100                             bridge      82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller
/0/100/1                           bridge      82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express PCI Express Root Port
/0/100/1/0                         display     G94 [GeForce 9600 GT]
/0/100/1b                          multimedia  82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
/0/100/1c                          bridge      82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1
/0/100/1c.1                        bridge      82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2
/0/100/1c.1/0          eth0        network     RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
/0/100/1d                          bus         82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1
/0/100/1d/1            usb2        bus         UHCI Host Controller
/0/100/1d.1                        bus         82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2
/0/100/1d.1/1          usb3        bus         UHCI Host Controller
/0/100/1d.1/1/2                    input       USB Receiver
/0/100/1d.2                        bus         82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3
/0/100/1d.2/1          usb4        bus         UHCI Host Controller
/0/100/1d.3                        bus         82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4
/0/100/1d.3/1          usb5        bus         UHCI Host Controller
/0/100/1d.7                        bus         82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller
/0/100/1d.7/1          usb1        bus         EHCI Host Controller
/0/100/1d.7/1/3                    multimedia  Video
/0/100/1e                          bridge      82801 PCI Bridge
/0/100/1f                          bridge      82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge
/0/100/1f.1            scsi0       storage     82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller
/0/100/1f.1/0.0.0      /dev/cdrom  disk        CDDVDW SH-S222A
/0/100/1f.1/0.1.0      /dev/sda    disk        122GB Maxtor 6Y120L0
/0/100/1f.1/0.1.0/1    /dev/sda1   volume      29GiB EXT4 volume
/0/100/1f.1/0.1.0/2    /dev/sda2   volume      84GiB Extended partition
/0/100/1f.1/0.1.0/2/5  /dev/sda5   volume      3992MiB Linux swap / Solaris partition
/0/100/1f.1/0.1.0/2/6  /dev/sda6   volume      80GiB Linux filesystem partition
/0/100/1f.2            scsi3       storage     82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller
/0/100/1f.2/0.0.0      /dev/sdb    disk        500GB ST3500320AS
/0/100/1f.2/0.0.0/1    /dev/sdb1   volume      30GiB EXT4 volume
/0/100/1f.2/0.0.0/2    /dev/sdb2   volume      435GiB Extended partition
/0/100/1f.2/0.0.0/2/5  /dev/sdb5   volume      3998MiB Linux swap / Solaris partition
/0/100/1f.2/0.0.0/2/6  /dev/sdb6   volume      431GiB Linux filesystem partition
/0/100/1f.3                        bus         82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller
Sembra davvero andare alla perfezione, vediamo nelle prox ore di stressarlo un pò.
Ciao ottimo lavoro.

[postedit]
Ops .. only now I realized the section english.
Sorry
[/postedit]
Last edited by mardok on 24 November 2010, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
Mardok
Image

User avatar
geneiros
Nuovo utente
Nuovo utente
Posts: 5
Joined: 24 November 2010, 16:33
OpenMandriva: 2010.1
Kernel: 2.6.35
Desktop: KDE 4.5.3

Re: a kernel patch surprise

Post by geneiros »

Hi there...

Can i use your kernel NRJ in pclinuxos??

Thanks...

User avatar
geneiros
Nuovo utente
Nuovo utente
Posts: 5
Joined: 24 November 2010, 16:33
OpenMandriva: 2010.1
Kernel: 2.6.35
Desktop: KDE 4.5.3

Re: a kernel patch surprise

Post by geneiros »

In the persuit of news about the new patch i found this article:

http://ck-hack.blogspot.com/2010/11/cre ... mment.html

This is a development blog of what Con Kolivas is doing with code at the moment with the emphasis on linux kernel, BFS and -ck.

the man beyond this blog says:

Those following the development of the patches for interactivity at massive
load, I have COMPLETELY DROPPED them as they introduce regressions at normal
workloads, and I cannot under any circumstances approve changes to improve
behaviour at ridiculous workloads which affect regular ones. I still see
precisely zero point at optimising for absurd workloads. Proving how many
un-niced jobs you can throw at your kernel compiles is not a measure of one's
prowess. It is just a mindless test.


is this really true?

i tried the alternative method of this patch by an employe of redhat using bashrc and it works as it says. Converting a divx to HD1080, playing Music, importing pictures to f-spot, playing a HDMovie, converting divx to DVD, all at the same time seems to run well...

but do i really have this kind of performance stress in day-day basis....no i don't...and if this patch do as it is told in ck-hack.blogspot.com, maybe should not be implemented...

User avatar
NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore
Posts: 4740
Joined: 6 December 2007, 19:54

Re: a kernel patch surprise

Post by NicCo »

mardok wrote:Finito di installare una 20' fa 2.6.36.1-desktop-nrj.69mib su Mandriva 2010.1 kde 453 x86_64
Una reattività mai vista prima su una delle mie macchina davvero eccezionale

Code: Select all

H/W path               Device      Class       Description
==========================================================
                                   system      To Be Filled By O.E.M.
/0                                 bus         G31M-GS
/0/0                               memory      64KiB BIOS
/0/4                               processor   Pentium(R) Dual-Core  CPU      E5200  @ 2.50GHz
/0/4/5                             memory      64KiB L1 cache
/0/4/6                             memory      2MiB L2 cache
/0/e                               memory      2GiB System Memory
/0/e/0                             memory      2GiB DIMM SDRAM Synchronous
/0/e/1                             memory      DIMM [empty]
/0/100                             bridge      82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller
/0/100/1                           bridge      82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express PCI Express Root Port
/0/100/1/0                         display     G94 [GeForce 9600 GT]
/0/100/1b                          multimedia  82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
/0/100/1c                          bridge      82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1
/0/100/1c.1                        bridge      82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2
/0/100/1c.1/0          eth0        network     RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
/0/100/1d                          bus         82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1
/0/100/1d/1            usb2        bus         UHCI Host Controller
/0/100/1d.1                        bus         82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2
/0/100/1d.1/1          usb3        bus         UHCI Host Controller
/0/100/1d.1/1/2                    input       USB Receiver
/0/100/1d.2                        bus         82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3
/0/100/1d.2/1          usb4        bus         UHCI Host Controller
/0/100/1d.3                        bus         82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4
/0/100/1d.3/1          usb5        bus         UHCI Host Controller
/0/100/1d.7                        bus         82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller
/0/100/1d.7/1          usb1        bus         EHCI Host Controller
/0/100/1d.7/1/3                    multimedia  Video
/0/100/1e                          bridge      82801 PCI Bridge
/0/100/1f                          bridge      82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge
/0/100/1f.1            scsi0       storage     82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller
/0/100/1f.1/0.0.0      /dev/cdrom  disk        CDDVDW SH-S222A
/0/100/1f.1/0.1.0      /dev/sda    disk        122GB Maxtor 6Y120L0
/0/100/1f.1/0.1.0/1    /dev/sda1   volume      29GiB EXT4 volume
/0/100/1f.1/0.1.0/2    /dev/sda2   volume      84GiB Extended partition
/0/100/1f.1/0.1.0/2/5  /dev/sda5   volume      3992MiB Linux swap / Solaris partition
/0/100/1f.1/0.1.0/2/6  /dev/sda6   volume      80GiB Linux filesystem partition
/0/100/1f.2            scsi3       storage     82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller
/0/100/1f.2/0.0.0      /dev/sdb    disk        500GB ST3500320AS
/0/100/1f.2/0.0.0/1    /dev/sdb1   volume      30GiB EXT4 volume
/0/100/1f.2/0.0.0/2    /dev/sdb2   volume      435GiB Extended partition
/0/100/1f.2/0.0.0/2/5  /dev/sdb5   volume      3998MiB Linux swap / Solaris partition
/0/100/1f.2/0.0.0/2/6  /dev/sdb6   volume      431GiB Linux filesystem partition
/0/100/1f.3                        bus         82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller
Sembra davvero andare alla perfezione, vediamo nelle prox ore di stressarlo un pò.
Ciao ottimo lavoro.

[postedit]
Ops .. only now I realized the section english.
Sorry
[/postedit]
Azz...
ma non mi date neanche il tempo di preparare la News, prima? Nessuna pietà... ;)

:lol: Ciao, NicCo
.
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL

User avatar
fonzie-two
Utente
Utente
Posts: 101
Joined: 20 February 2009, 20:56
ROSA: R11
OpenMandriva: -
Kernel: 4.9.124-nrj-desktop-
Desktop: Plasma 5
country: ITA

Re: a kernel patch surprise

Post by fonzie-two »

Saluti a tutti,
vi chiedo solo un piccolo aiuto:
installando il kernel 2.6.35.xx, il tutto era filato liscio,
con il 2.6.36.xx, nella fase di avvio fallisce la compilazione dei driver nvidia, mi avvisa che utilizzerà quelli " nuveau" e poi lo schermo rimane nero con il puntatore del mouse.
Soluzioni ?

P.S. con il kernel 2.6.35 nrjpae, mi vedeva tutti i 4 gb di ram.

Ciaoo

User avatar
NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore
Posts: 4740
Joined: 6 December 2007, 19:54

Re: a kernel patch surprise

Post by NicCo »

fonzie-two wrote:Saluti a tutti,
vi chiedo solo un piccolo aiuto:
installando il kernel 2.6.35.xx, il tutto era filato liscio,
con il 2.6.36.xx, nella fase di avvio fallisce la compilazione dei driver nvidia, mi avvisa che utilizzerà quelli " nuveau" e poi lo schermo rimane nero con il puntatore del mouse.
Soluzioni ?

P.S. con il kernel 2.6.35 nrjpae, mi vedeva tutti i 4 gb di ram.

Ciaoo
Quale versione dei driver Nvidia hai installata:
spero tanto che tu abbia l'ultima, che è disponibile nei repo non-free /backports di mandriva, e che risolve alcuni problemi anche con KDE 4.5.3, altrimenti il problema potrebbe proprio essere nella versione dei driver.
.
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL

User avatar
fonzie-two
Utente
Utente
Posts: 101
Joined: 20 February 2009, 20:56
ROSA: R11
OpenMandriva: -
Kernel: 4.9.124-nrj-desktop-
Desktop: Plasma 5
country: ITA

Re: a kernel patch surprise

Post by fonzie-two »

@NicCo,
ho abilitato la voce da te segnalata, aggiornato tutti i driver.
Il kernel 2.6.36 ha compilato i driver nvidia e mi vede correttamente i 4gb di ram.
La prima impressione, utilizzando clamav del mib, ( nella partizione finestre, mi ha trovato un trojan, NOD32 in finestre, mi dava sistema pulito ) e open office, e' una maggior fluidità.

Grazie e ciaoo

Post Reply