Nuovo utente
Nuovo utente
OpenMandriva: 2010.2
Kernel: 2.6.36.2-2mnb2
Desktop: KDE 4.5.4

Software request: kernel-vserver 2.6.36.2-vs2.3.0.36.38.2

Post by m_ueberall »

Hi,

Unfortunately, kernels with the Linux-VServer patch applied haven't been available from Mandriva repositories any more for quite some time now. OTOH, I think I'm not the only one who prefers this "lightweight" virtualization solution--in fact, it's used by a number of hosters.
Due to time constraints, I didn't find the time to modify the kernel srpm myself yet, but would be happy to assist (because I really want to get rid of the Debian based VirtualBox image I'm currently using in order to replicate my VServer hoster's environment).

Project page: http://linux-vserver.org/Welcome_to_Linux-VServer.org
Current patch for 2.6.36.2 kernel: http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Experimenta ... .38.2.diff (though it's still marked as "experimental", according to the mailing list, a stable revision is expected shortly)

It would be nice to have this for 2010.2 (both i686 and x86_64 arch). :)

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Re: Software request: kernel-vserver 2.6.36.2-vs2.3.0.36.38.

Post by NicCo »

- What kind of kernel must be based? a kernel-server type with HZ=100, ecc. (not for desktop use)?

- When a patch like this is applied to a kernel, generally in .config files there is the need to add many new keys with relative values that you should know, because these will be surely asked during build phase to go on

If, there are not many new keys and values to add in .conf file, and I'll find the time, I'll try to port it

bye, NicCo
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL

m_ueberall
Nuovo utente
Nuovo utente

Post by m_ueberall »

NicCo wrote:- What kind of kernel must be based? a kernel-server type with HZ=100, ecc. (not for desktop use)?
As far as I understand, the Linux-VServer patch is independent of the "basic" configuration (it's also not mentioned on http://linux-vserver.org/Installation_on_Linux_2.6).

Looking at /usr/src/linux-<kernel>/include/linux/autoconf.h, the prebuilt Debian based kernels use "#define CONFIG_HZ_250 1". It should be possible to extract the settings from either the sources or /boot/config-<kernel> here if needed.

However, the latest version available in the Mandriva repository (kernel-vserver-2.2.0.7-1mdv2009.0.src.rpm), which is based on kernel 2.6.22, contains "CONFIG_HZ_1000=y" and "CONFIG_HZ=1000". Both the Mandriva and the Debian kernels are 'tickless' (i.e., CONFIG_NO_HZ=y).

Just to clarify: The above srpm is based on a plain vanilla kernel which is not really what I have in mind (that would be too easy, eh? Sadly, I never seem to have simple needs :roll:), because I really want to use the VServer patch in conjunction with a fully patched (Mandriva) kernel. That way, if something doesn't work out, you can simply reboot and use the "default" kernel, thereby "only" losing the virtual environments (which can be moved inside a VirtualBox image or the like). Frankly, I never tried/dared to boot a vanilla kernel. Xen would be different story, of course.

Ad astra, Markus

m_ueberall
Nuovo utente
Nuovo utente

Post by m_ueberall »

m_ueberall wrote:Unfortunately, kernels with the Linux-VServer patch applied haven't been available from Mandriva repositories any more for quite some time now.
Luckily, a few days ago, Herbert Pötzl provided a .src.rpm for the Mageia fork (the announcement at http://bit.ly/kuIvgv contains a link); apparently, you can use that in conjunction with a Mandriva 2010.2 installation as well. According to the spec file, apart from the vserver patch, this is more or less a pristine kernel--turns out that I don't really need to worry about that after all. :D

Ad astra, Markus