Nuovo utente
Nuovo utente
OpenMandriva: 2010.2
Kernel: 2.6.33.7
Desktop: KDE 4.5.5

Screen messed up after kernel upgrade

Post by carlos76 »

Hello,

This is my first post in a forum in several years, and I'm doing it as a last resort because I've got a problem that is definitely driving me nuts since I've spent hours dealing with it, so hopefully anybody can help me out.

I've tried to upgrade my kernel to 2.6.38 from the MIB repositories. I first tried the kernel-desktop and then the kernel-nrj-desktop version. In either case, my system booted up normally up to the greeter screen. There my screen froze although the system was still running.

By pressing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace I managed to restart the X server and my screen came back to life. But then something weird happened: the screen flickered and the image was scrolled to the right so that the left half appeared on the right side of the screen and vice versa. On verbose mode, the system boots up to the "starting Udev" thing and then throws a few more messages, but then my screen freezes again. I also get my screen freezing if I try to boot in safe mode or in runlevel 3, though I still am able to blindly log in as a normal user and start X, with identical result of having my screen cut in half and both halves appearing in the wrong side.

Among so many things, I've tried changing the display driver to no avail. I've also tried booting with the nomodeset option and setting speedboot=no. Doing the latter I still had the same problem, but at least I didn't have to do Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to restart the X server. My system boots up correctly with my previous 2.6.33 kernel from Mandriva official repositories. I've checked the log files for errors and compared them with those generated when booting with the previous kernel, and there doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference.

My graphics card is an S3 Unichrome Pro IGP.

Any Idea of what's going wrong?