criteria to choose rosa or openmandriva ?

General conversations about MIB project
Forum rules
Before you post, please read forum rules:
Software requests - How to
Tag [SOLVED] in topics
promeneur
Utente senior
Utente senior
ROSA: -
OpenMandriva: 2010.3 i586
Kernel: 3.5.7 nrj dsktp pae
Desktop: MIB kde 4.8.4

criteria to choose rosa or openmandriva ?

Post by promeneur »

hello

i wonder what are the criteria to choose rosa or openmandriva ?

thanks
Asus M2N, AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, 8 GB, Asus Nvidia 210 silent, Linksys WMP600N, Plugable USB-BT4LE Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter, lecteur multicarte Addonics AEIDDSAU, HP LaserJet 1220

rolf
Utente
Utente
ROSA: R3 2012.1 x86_64
OpenMandriva: OMV 2014.0 x86_64
Kernel: 3.13.11-nrjQL-realti
Desktop: KDE 4.13.2

Re: criteria to choose rosa or openmandriva ?

Post by rolf »

HI,

I've got an installation of Mandriva 2011 where PS3 Media Server nicely transcodes and plays dvd isos for me on the ps3. Neither Rosa nor Mageia nor anything else I try can do it. I think it's a matter of java or PMS version or mencoder ("Process mencoder has a return code of 1!" is echoed in the PMS log) and I've gone round and round trying to replicate what is on 2011 without success. So, I have to keep that Mandriva 2011.

Rosa is very impressive, to me, with the amount of development going on, it has most of the familiar Mandrake-Mandriva functionality I've learned to use over more than 13 years, and it's up-to-date. Some things I use are not there or broken, some of those get fixed with bug reports, and overall, it works for me, so it's my distro for daily use. I expect it will get better, for me.

Openmandriva has a chance, with fewer resources. I follow development, test betas and RCs, report the problems I have. I am hopeful for a successful release. Since there is no stable release, yet, I am waiting to see whether it is useful, for me. :)