Argomenti di carattere generale
NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Seth Vidal has been killed in an bicycle accident

Post by NicCo »

Source:
http://www.businessinsider.com/36-year- ... led-2013-7
The open source community is mourning the sad loss of one of their own today.

Seth Vidal, just 36-years-old, was killed by a hit-and-run driver while riding his bike in Durham, N.C., last night.

He was hit from behind at around 9 p.m. and pronounced dead upon arrival at the hospital, reports WRAL.com.

Vidal was a well-known engineer for software company Red Hat, a company with a meritocracy culture where engineers like Vidal hold enormous respect and power.

He was best known for creating a piece of software called "yum," a tool that helps Linux administrators manage servers. He also worked on a version of Linux called Fedora. This is a free version of Red Hat's software where the company experiments with new tech before putting it into the main, commercial version.

As if this story wasn't sad enough, one of the last tweets he sent, on July 5, was about bicycling.

He was responding to a question from fellow open source developer Ryan Tomayko who works at GitHub. Tomayko wanted to know which apps are best for keeping track of bike riding stats.

"@rtomayko don't track things. Just ride," Vidal tweeted in reply.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/36-year- ... z2Yda8HEyb

This morning, I've read this tragic news from om-general maillist
Em 10-07-2013 10:19, Blackcrack escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> Seth Vidal the developer(founder) of Yum Packets and RedHat Developer
> is death by an bikecicle accident ..

A reflection:
after the tragedy happened to our dear friend Eugeni Dodonov, I wouldn't have wanted to read another news like this
"killed by a hit-and-run driver while riding his bike..." never more, never more, never more...

many people fail to realize that when they are driving a car, they've in their hands a loaded gun and lethal, bet around,
even worse they run off not giving aid the poor wounded, removing most chances of salvation when only a fast rescue...

before was alcohol. drugs, sleep, now there are also distractions caused by stupid mgs exchanges with smartphones
and believe me, I'm seeing these too often, and too often such kind of tragedies are avoided atm only by the fortune...

Too many stupid people give so little value to the lives of others, I'm really very sad and frustrated!

My condolences to Seth Vidal family, and to all those people in which a family member is stolen for a fact like this...
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL