leeniX
Nuovo utente
Nuovo utente
OpenMandriva: 2.0
Kernel: 2.0
Desktop: 2.0

Install mandriva 2009 inside windows

Post by leeniX »

How do i install mandriva 2009 linux inside windows so i can dual boot each of them? I am wanting to start using linux but i dont want to lose vista. How can i dual boot Mandriva. I have tried ubuntu and it does not work so i thought i would try something different.
Last edited by leeniX on 6 August 2011, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

An00bii
Nuovo utente
Nuovo utente
OpenMandriva: 2010.2 free 64
Kernel: 2.6.36.2-desktop-2mn
Desktop: kde

Re: Install mandriva 2009 inside windows

Post by An00bii »

Do you really want to install mandriva 2009 when 2010.2 is available now?

If you want to dual boot, i suggest you to partition your HD in order to get at least 3 partitions.

The best solution is to defrag your windows vista (minimum twice. and you may want to use third part software like this), resize vista partition and then install Mandriva Linux using the free space on disk .

It should be safe, and you will obtain a dual boot system without damaging Vista.

You can also rollback the installation (i'm pretty sure you won't do it :mrgreen: ) by:
restoring vista MBR
deleting linux partition with vista disk management utility
resizing vista's partition back

If you want, you can only virtualize mandriva. You just need to install VirtualBox on your Vista and follow the steps to create a virtual machine. Virtualbox will create a virtual environment, something like a fake computer where you can "pretend to install" mandriva. This kind of installation is totally safe, but due to the simulation of another hardware, some mandriva's options wouldn't work (I.E. compiz and other fancy 3d effects, 3d gaming and so on). Plus, you must turn on vista everytime you will want to use mandriva, so it is not a dual boot.

PS: sorry for my bad english.