fraterlinux
Utente junior
Utente junior
OpenMandriva: 2011
Kernel: kernel-nrj-pae-deskt
Desktop: KDE4

Re: Rosa 2012 Marathon - Testing, Whishlist, ToDo & Suggesti

Post by fraterlinux »

Ok! It is possible to upgrade from i586 to x86_64???

rolf
Utente
Utente
ROSA: R3 2012.1 x86_64
OpenMandriva: OMV 2014.0 x86_64
Kernel: 3.13.11-nrjQL-realti
Desktop: KDE 4.13.2

Post by rolf »

Hi. I appreciate this work. Here, I am writing from the livedvd of http://mib.mandrivausers.ro/MIB/rosa201 ... 64.101.iso

The md5sum of the iso has been verified and the burn was verified against the iso.

First, it seems there is still a bug to do with my nvidia card, 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500 GT] (rev a1)
that was reported back in 2011 development by Ben Bullard, which I joined: https://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=62825

I have not had a Mandriva-x86_64-based live disk boot to running X since that time. By booting to runlevel 3, configuring the X driver as 'vesa' with XFdrake, then 'init 5', I get a black desktop with cursor only. Using 'Alt-F2', I can start any program, such as konsole, FireFox.

In konsole, I did 'dhclient eth1' and got internet. Immediately, I was prompted to configure sources, which I allowed to go forward with full sources

At google, I searched for the command to start the plasma-desktop, which is what it seems to me is missing. I have tried one recipe:

Code: Select all

[live@localhost ~]$ kbuildsycoca4 && kquitapp plasma-desktop && kstart plasma-desktop
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kquitapp(7204): "Application plasma-desktop could not be found using service org.kde.plasma-desktop and path /MainApplication." 
[live@localhost ~]$ plasma
plasma-desktop         plasma-overlay         plasmawallpaperviewer
plasmaengineexplorer   plasmapkg              plasma-windowed
plasma-netbook         plasma-remote-helper 
I don't know why this nvidia/X bug hits me and Ben so consistently but it's sort of important to me, probably some others.

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by NicCo »

Don't worry, in the final iso, there would be working Nvidia 295.33 drivers

Perhaps in the upcoming rc release you could find working nvidia driver

bye
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL

ominomichelin
Utente
Utente
OpenMandriva: 2009.1 x86_64
Kernel: 2.6.29.1

Post by ominomichelin »

###REQUEST####
193 iso it's shipped with gutenprint 5.2.6 , since f May 2, 2011 it's out 5.2.7 vith support for more printers and bug fixes ...can we have it in the new iso?
And maybe even CUPS 1.5.2 instead of 1.4.8 ?
thx

PS:
autologin could be ebabled from system settings , on 193

POSTEDIT

updated the gutenprint , already available the new version on media ... thx guys
Last edited by ominomichelin on 9 April 2012, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.mandrivausers.ro/ MRB aint no shit , :p Linux user number 507107 Nu dați banii pe prostii, puneți Linux pe PISI !

andreas
Utente
Utente

Post by andreas »

I wasn't able to make the x64 beta work from an usb stick . Tried with UnetBootin (no boot at all) and through dd (the live system reports it is unable to load the root). Didn't try to install from usb.
AndreaS

Procio Intel i7-4930k, mobo Asus X79-Deluxe, Adaptec raid 7805, Nvidia Quadro 6000 - Rosa Fresh R3 X64

ominomichelin
Utente
Utente
OpenMandriva: 2009.1 x86_64
Kernel: 2.6.29.1

Post by ominomichelin »

andreas wrote:I wasn't able to make the x64 beta work from an usb stick . Tried with UnetBootin (no boot at all) and through dd (the live system reports it is unable to load the root). Didn't try to install from usb.
I'm testing this lts since the first iso pre beta lts ,only from usb stick dumped with unetbootin...
like a charm
you should check your pendrive ...
http://www.mandrivausers.ro/ MRB aint no shit , :p Linux user number 507107 Nu dați banii pe prostii, puneți Linux pe PISI !

andreas
Utente
Utente

Post by andreas »

I may try another pendrive, but I used the same pendrive on which I previously installed Mandriva 2011 with the DD command, and I tested and formatted it with RMprepUSB before trying to install on it Marathon with UnetBootin.

Did you install the i586 or the x64 version?
AndreaS

Procio Intel i7-4930k, mobo Asus X79-Deluxe, Adaptec raid 7805, Nvidia Quadro 6000 - Rosa Fresh R3 X64

andreas
Utente
Utente

Re: ROSA 2012 Marathon - Testing, Whishlist, ToDo & Suggesti

Post by andreas »

OK, I found the problem.
Reloading on the same pendrive theMandriva 2011 ISO, I noticed that the pendrive light continues to flash for a minute or two after the dd command returns to the prompt.
This time I just waited for the pendrive to stop to flashing and now it works mandriva marathon works.
AndreaS

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by NicCo »

andreas wrote:This time I just waited for the pendrive to stop to flashing and now it works mandriva marathon works.
A useful suggestion:
after the "dd" command you can add a "sync" command that sync all data to usb flash device

Example:

Code: Select all

dd if=/path/isoname.iso of=/dev/sdx bs=4M ; sync
After you must wait your command prompt with a free cursor:
it means everything has been write and sync, then you can safely remove the usb device

bye, NicCo
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL

andreas
Utente
Utente

Post by andreas »

Thanks.
Let me point out another problem that is currently present in mandriva and that I'd like to see solved in Marathon.

Gscan2pdf (a simple but very useful scanner program) simply does not work: if installed from mandriva repos, refuses to save the acquired images, a quite big problem problem, in my opinion.
I managed it work updating from cooker all the modules that the program, when launched in debug mode from prompt, warned as outdated, plus others that were pointed out as outdated in several forums (from Ubuntu to Mageia) but now in color mode there are some areas that remain white (not too big and not a lot, but extremely annoying). Of course I got no answer from bugzilla.
A couple of days ago an update appeared (version 1.04, if I well remember), but it refused to install because it required perl-scanner version 0.5 as a dependency, a module that I have been unable to find anywhere (currently at version 0.3 in mandriva repos). Now this update disappeared from the repos.
I don't care if there's or not the very last version of this program, but I hope to see it working in rosa marathon as it does in all the other distributions, as far as I know.
AndreaS