Can't print from Firefox and Thunderbird.

About ROSA Desktop distribution and help to users
benbullard79
Utente junior
Utente junior
ROSA: None
OpenMandriva: 2014.2, Cooker
Kernel: 4.1.12-nrjQL
Desktop: KDE4,Plasma5

Can't print from Firefox and Thunderbird.

Post by benbullard79 »

Printer is HP Photosmart 6520 (hp:/usb/Photosmart_6520_series?serial=CN29B1513505TZ). In openSuSE and Fedora this printer is discovered and configured automatically. All I had to do was turn it on. So it seems to be well supported in Linux. In Rosa Fresh I had to configure it with '>System settings>Hardware>Setup the printer(s). the print job queues,...' I can print from kwrite, LibreOffice, and all HP device manager features such as 'align cartridges' seem to work.

What is a significant problem is that I can't print from Firefox or Thunderbird. The dialog boxes appear normal and say it is printing but I get no print. Any ideas? :?:

This device has a choice of 2 'recommended' drivers hpijs 3.2.10 or cips 3.2.10. Problem exists with either driver.
Thanks,
Ben
aka: ben79

GvMariani
Collaboratore
Collaboratore
ROSA: 2016.1 Fresh R10
OpenMandriva: -
Kernel: 4.19.13-nrj-desktop
Desktop: Plasma 5

Re: Can't print from Firefox and Thunderbird.

Post by GvMariani »

benbullard79 wrote:Printer is HP Photosmart 6520 (hp:/usb/Photosmart_6520_series?serial=CN29B1513505TZ). In openSuSE and Fedora this printer is discovered and configured automatically. All I had to do was turn it on. So it seems to be well supported in Linux. In Rosa Fresh I had to configure it with '>System settings>Hardware>Setup the printer(s). the print job queues,...' I can print from kwrite, LibreOffice, and all HP device manager features such as 'align cartridges' seem to work.
What is a significant problem is that I can't print from Firefox or Thunderbird. The dialog boxes appear normal and say it is printing but I get no print. Any ideas? :?:
This device has a choice of 2 'recommended' drivers hpijs 3.2.10 or cips 3.2.10. Problem exists with either driver.
I had a similar problem in the past (but I have an Epson EPL-6200 PS3 printer, so perhaps the things differs from what you're seeing)...
I resolved it when I noticed that in File - Page setup window the html page is always formatted for "Any Printer": you guess it, by explicity selecting my printer in the above window in place of "Any Printer" I got Firefox print correctly...
I did not find a way to make the setting permanent, though.

Hope this helps...

GvM

ninarello19
Utente
Utente
OpenMandriva: 2010.2
Kernel: 2.6.38.2-desktop-nrj
Desktop: KDE 4.5.5

Post by ninarello19 »

Anche io ho lo stesso problema con la mia stampante epson SX125.
Su file -Imposta pagina mi da sempre stampante generica, nonostante metto al suo posto la mia stampante
e dico applica continua a non stampare le pagine web con Firefox oltre che a ritornare sempre su
stampante generica.
Ho già segnalato il problema molto tempo fa ma non ho visto alcun commento.
Grazie
ninarello19
ninarello19
=========
RosaDesktop.Fresh 2012.1 R1 - arch. x86_64 - KDE 4.10.4 MIB - Kernel 3.10.15-nrjQL-desktop-69rosa #1 SMP PREEMPT
O.S. alternativi su VMware workstation 10.0.0>>> Ubuntu, Windows XP Pro, Windows Seven e Mac come Macchine VIrtuali

benbullard79
Utente junior
Utente junior
ROSA: None
OpenMandriva: 2014.2, Cooker
Kernel: 4.1.12-nrjQL
Desktop: KDE4,Plasma5

Post by benbullard79 »

GvMariani wrote:I had a similar problem in the past (but I have an Epson EPL-6200 PS3 printer, so perhaps the things differs from what you're seeing)... I resolved it when I noticed that in File - Page setup window the html page is always formatted for "Any Printer": you guess it, by explicity selecting my printer in the above window in place of "Any Printer" I got Firefox print correctly...
I did not find a way to make the setting permanent, though.

Hope this helps...

GvM
Don't know if that fix would work here as I had already installed poppler and libpoppler35 packages as described here:

http://bugs.rosalinux.ru/show_bug.cgi?id=1865

http://forum.rosalab.ru/en/viewtopic.ph ... 819#p15819

installed those packages and printing from Firefox and Thunderbird now works normally. :D I did check and my File>Page setup does indicate 'Any printer' as you described. Would be interested to see if those packages correct issue for you and ninarello19? :?:
Thanks,
Ben
aka: ben79