Utente junior
Utente junior
ROSA: Desktop Fresh R7 x64
OpenMandriva: -
Kernel: 4.1.18-nrjQL-desktop
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.5.4

R7 hangs on boot - kernel panic

Post by viking »

I cannot event boot R7 in live mode. Kernel panic every time. Screenshot on the bottom. :(

It's Dell Latitude E7450, with i7-5600U, mSSD and two graphic cards (Intel HD 5500 and nVidia 840M).

@NicCo - is there any boot parameter I could try? Any ideas?

I can post inxi -F (or result of whatever command you want) from Fedora later, since Fedora 23 works without any problem on this laptop.

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Re: R7 hangs on boot - kernel panic

Post by NicCo »

I have had similar troubles, general instability during R7 use,
and sometimes the kernel stucked on boot, like your case...

I met an identical kernel panic, like that in your photo, also on a AMD platform

I suppose it may depends on some specific hardware,
but I have never had these problems with my kernels,
generally, after installing R7, I replace it immediately!

I have solved replacing the official kernel with mine, from my personal repo,
simply add repo and then you can install, or the kernel-nrj or the faster nrjQL

my kernels use a slight different patchset and different default configs

my latest kernel is 4.1.15
(soon this will be replaced with 4.1.17 and the newest lts 4.4.x)

Kernel LTS 4.1.15 for ROSA 2012.0lts, 2014.1 & OMV2014, 2015
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4647
I remind you the base repo address for kernels 4.1.x link:
http://abf.rosalinux.ru/downloads/kerne ... epository/
just an example? R7 64bit, I suppose... so...
from there you can arrive to kernels 4.1.x for R7 x86_64
http://abf-downloads.rosalinux.ru/kerne ... n/release/

from a root konsole you can add my repo, then you can install one of my kernels,
you can choose one of the most used: nrjQL-desktop, -laptop, or even -realtime,

the below example is with nrjQL-desktop

Code: Select all

urpmi.addmedia --update kernels_4.1 http://abf-downloads.rosalinux.ru/kernels_4_1x_personal/repository/rosa2014.1/x86_64/main/release/
urpmi kernel-nrjQL-desktop-devel-latest urpmi kernel-nrjQL-desktop-latest
when you reboot, you must remind to go to the grub menu and choose from the advanced menu the kernel nrjQL 4.1.15 for the next startup, otherwise you will starts once again with the offcial nrj-4.1.16-rosa1

Please, let me know if this solves also for you... ok?
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL

viking
Utente junior
Utente junior

Post by viking »

NicCo wrote:I have had similar troubles, general instability during R7 use,
and sometimes the kernel stucked on boot, like your case...

I met an identical kernel panic, like that in your photo, also on a AMD platform

I suppose it may depends on some specific hardware,
but I have never had these problems with my kernels,
generally, after installing R7, I replace it immediately!

I have solved replacing the official kernel with mine, from my personal repo,
simply add repo and then you can install, or the kernel-nrj or the faster nrjQL

my kernels use a slight different patchset and different default configs

my latest kernel is 4.1.15
(soon this will be replaced with 4.1.17 and the newest lts 4.4.x)

Kernel LTS 4.1.15 for ROSA 2012.0lts, 2014.1 & OMV2014, 2015
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4647
I remind you the base repo address for kernels 4.1.x link:
http://abf.rosalinux.ru/downloads/kerne ... epository/
just an example? R7 64bit, I suppose... so...
from there you can arrive to kernels 4.1.x for R7 x86_64
http://abf-downloads.rosalinux.ru/kerne ... n/release/

from a root konsole you can add my repo, then you can install one of my kernels,
you can choose one of the most used: nrjQL-desktop, -laptop, or even -realtime,

the below example is with nrjQL-desktop

urpmi.addmedia --update kernels_4.1 http://abf-downloads.rosalinux.ru/kernels_4_1x_personal/repository/rosa2014.1/x86_64/main/release/
urpmi kernel-nrjQL-desktop-devel-latest urpmi kernel-nrjQL-desktop-latest
when you reboot, you must remind to go to the grub menu and choose from the advanced menu the kernel nrjQL 4.1.15 for the next startup, otherwise you will starts once again with the offcial nrj-4.1.16-rosa1

Please, let me know if this solves also for you... ok?
Hello NicCo,

Thank you for your answer, but... I can only get to boot menu from bootable USB, and that's it. :(

Whatever option I choose, I can only see this:

and then came kernel panic and messages that you could see on a screenshoot that I already sent.

It's not AMD, it's Intel i7, but yes it's x64.

It's laptop with two graphic cards. One is Intel HD 5500, and second is nVidia 840M. I suspect that problem occurs because kernel do not know which graphic card to use. I guess it want's to start nVidia card instead of Intel, but nVidia can only be started with proper optimus drivers.

Looks like I always have some laptop with some unusual part.

I used nrjQL on my previous laptop and I know how to install it, but problem is that I can not pass boot menu. :(

btw. I was sure that I read somewhere that your kernels would be used as default kernels for ROSA somewhere around release of R4 for example.

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by NicCo »

viking wrote: I used nrjQL on my previous laptop and I know how to install it, but problem is that I can not pass boot menu. :(
You can select or not the nrjQL kernel from the advanced grub menu? Or you can only start official nrj-4.1.15-rosa1?

viking wrote: btw. I was sure that I read somewhere that your kernels would be used as default kernels for ROSA somewhere around release of R4 for example.
Yes, it was so since the first ROSA 2012 LTS and ROSA Fresh R1, but sadly, with the new ROSA board,
since September 2015, ROSA Kernels are still based on my nrj model, but these newer versions are developed by different people, and not by me...

You can still find kernel developed by me, in my personal repositories, I hope to prepare asap new 4.1.17 and 4.4.1 for my personal use and friends

Currently I've lost the most of my enthusiasm, I am serioulsy thinking to abandon any further kernel development...
(I was developing new kernel models, for example joining the nrjQL with the official -rt patchset, this project needed much time, now it's stalled,
all the newer kernels should have been originated from the kernel-one source model I was working on with a lot of real innovations... )

POST EDIT
This morning, I have installed R7 on the laptop you can see below in the CODE window, currently is still using the rosa kernel,
it has freezed suddenly 4 times since this morning, without any apparent reason, I can only switch off / swich on again the PC,
the PC has freezed just while I was writing this msg... funny, so I had to reboot violently

tomorrow morning I'll install my kernel to check what happens with it (you can see it's a brand new PC with good hardware,
I already verified that the windows 10 partition side runs very well and without any issues, the freezes happen only with R7

erlando@N551JX ~ $ inxi -F
System:    Host: N551JX Kernel: 4.1.16-nrj-desktop-1rosa-x86_64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 4.14.13
           Distro: RosaDesktopFresh 2014.1 Fresh
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: N551JX v: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends v: N551JX.207 date: 08/06/2015
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-4720HQ (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 3600 MHz 1: 2600 MHz 2: 2600 MHz 3: 2600 MHz 4: 2647 MHz 5: 2851 MHz 6: 3052 MHz
           7: 3015 MHz 8: 2988 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 950M]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.4 drivers: nouveau,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.1hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.0.6
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.1.16-nrj-desktop-1rosa-x86_64
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k
           IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: 28:c2:dd:d8:4c:07
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
           IF: enp5s0f1 state: down mac: 08:62:66:b7:95:90
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (12.6% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS541010A9 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 40G used: 6.7G (18%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4
           ID-2: /home size: 710G used: 92G (13%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 21.47GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 48.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 244 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 772.3/7938.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.27
Will be problems related with the current kernel or something else? I will know tomorrow... I'll let you know!
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by NicCo »

Apropos your photo:
viking wrote:Image
I had a screenshot like the your, since the R6 time, exactly when kernel 4.1.x arrived into an installed R6,
everything worked with older kernel 3.18.x, so I had to boot with older kernel serie, then from running pc,
I simply added my 4.1 repo, installed my 4.1, at the restart the boot was ok, everything running again...

viking wrote:Thank you for your answer, but... I can only get to boot menu from bootable USB, and that's it. :(
Important question: Perhaps I've not understood your issue with R7:
Can you, at least, open a working live session with R7 upto KDE?
Or you can't boot R7 neither in the live mode, no login, no KDE?

If you can't install R7 it's obvious you can't update it with a different kernel...

======

As stated in my previous msg, I've installed the nrjQL kernel on the ASUS N551JX
all ok since the first reboot, is running well and fast, and at least so far no freeze...

Well hopefully it continues like this!
Must wait more time and, in the meantime, put stress on PC, as much as possible

gerlando@N551JX ~ $ uname -a ; uptime
Linux N551JX 4.1.15-nrjQL-desktop-ql1rosa #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 23 21:32:57 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
 12:53:30 up 11:28,  3 users,  load average: 0,50, 0,35, 0,24

gerlando@N551JX ~ $ inxi -F

System:    Host: N551JX Kernel: 4.1.15-nrjQL-desktop-ql1rosa x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 4.14.13
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: N551JX v: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends v: N551JX.207 date: 08/06/2015
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-4720HQ (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 3600 MHz 1: 843 MHz 2: 799 MHz 3: 2298 MHz 4: 2656 MHz 5: 2332 MHz 6: 839 MHz
           7: 1311 MHz 8: 1361 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM107M [GeForce GTX 950M]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.1hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.0.6
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.1.15-nrjQL-desktop-ql1rosa
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k
           IF: wlp4s0 state: up mac: 28:c2:dd:d8:4c:07
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
           IF: enp5s0f1 state: down mac: 08:62:66:b7:95:90
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (12.6% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS541010A9 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 40G used: 6.9G (19%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4
           ID-2: /home size: 710G used: 92G (13%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 21.47GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: N/A
Info:      Processes: 243 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 753.3/7874.5MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.27

viking
Utente junior
Utente junior

Post by viking »

NicCo wrote: Important question: Perhaps I've not understood your issue with R7:
Can you, at least, open a working live session with R7 upto KDE?
Or you can't boot R7 neither in the live mode, no login, no KDE?

If you can't install R7 it's obvious you can't update it with a different kernel...
I didn't even managed to start live session from USB with R7. Further I can go is up to grub menu from live USB. All I can get is kernel panic every single time. On the other hand Fedora 23 and Windows 10 both work flawlessly.

If you have any idea how to force use of Intel card with some boot switch it would be great, since I probably could install R7 and then replace the kernel.
NicCo wrote: Yes, it was so since the first ROSA 2012 LTS and ROSA Fresh R1, but sadly, with the new ROSA board,
since September 2015, ROSA Kernels are still based on my nrj model, but these newer versions are developed by different people, and not by me...

You can still find kernel developed by me, in my personal repositories, I hope to prepare asap new 4.1.17 and 4.4.1 for my personal use and friends

Currently I've lost the most of my enthusiasm, I am serioulsy thinking to abandon any further kernel development...
(I was developing new kernel models, for example joining the nrjQL with the official -rt patchset, this project needed much time, now it's stalled,
all the newer kernels should have been originated from the kernel-one source model I was working on with a lot of real innovations... )
If you abandon kernels for ROSA and Open Mandriva, I will stop using any Mandrake derivative! Honestly.

When I first tried your kernel I actually saw the difference. Literally! I cannot remember what it was, but I remember that difference was huge. When someone ask me why I even bother with Mandriva derivatives, my answer is always NicCo's kernels.

Secondly, even when there was no need for MIB repositories any more, I could always get better, faster and maybe even friendlier help here then on official forums. So, I really want say big thanks to the whole MIB team for all the work you guys done for this community.

I am about 90% ready to say goodbye forever to ROSA and Open Mandriva at this moment and you guys are the main reason why I still want to bother with ROSA and Open Mandriva.

I am even thinking to stop bother with any Linux for workstation use. I need operating system that will work flawlessly since I use this laptop for work. I cannot have non-working system because suddenly something stopped to work properly. I need proper Exchange support, and only Evolution works properly. Fedora works flawlessly, but I cannot get same battery time as on Windows. I need that my battery works at least 6 hours, since it works at least 6 hours in Windows (mostly even more). Best I could get with Fedora was about 3 and a half.

At least I would always have many Linux servers at work and home to play with. :)
NicCo wrote: As stated in my previous msg, I've installed the nrjQL kernel on the ASUS N551JX
all ok since the first reboot, is running well and fast, and at least so far no freeze...

Well hopefully it continues like this!
Must wait more time and, in the meantime, put stress on PC, as much as possible
Please let me know (even I am sure it would work great).

I have very little spare time and a lot of work, so I am really close to decide to use Linux for workstation only as Guest OS inside VM on Windows host. :(

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by NicCo »

viking wrote: I didn't even managed to start live session from USB with R7. Further I can go is up to grub menu from live USB. All I can get is kernel panic every single time. On the other hand Fedora 23 and Windows 10 both work flawlessly.

If you have any idea how to force use of Intel card with some boot switch it would be great, since I probably could install R7 and then replace the kernel.
mmm... you can try in the Bios,
few laptop bios is capable to manage the hybrid hardware, for example the DELL,
I had one that you can manage the Intel/Nvidia switch (Intel only, Nvidia only, Auto)

if you will find a way to enable the video hardware you want on boot, you should solve
your R7 installation, you must surf all menu in your bios searching the item to change

If this is not possible, you have still another chance:
you can try install the ROSA R6, update all, then install the kernel your laptop prefers
yes, I know there will be a lot of updates to wait, but at the end you will be into the R7
you can start a global urpmi --auto-update --auto, then go out to walk, when you come
back your installation will be R7... I think this is a road you can try

there is still another chance, I can ask to Pulfer if he can push an unofficial iso with
my kernel nrjQL, to suggest when there are unsolvable issues like those you met...
viking wrote: If you abandon kernels for ROSA and Open Mandriva, I will stop using any Mandrake derivative! Honestly.

When I first tried your kernel I actually saw the difference. Literally! I cannot remember what it was, but I remember that difference was huge. When someone ask me why I even bother with Mandriva derivatives, my answer is always NicCo's kernels.

Secondly, even when there was no need for MIB repositories any more, I could always get better, faster and maybe even friendlier help here then on official forums. So, I really want say big thanks to the whole MIB team for all the work you guys done for this community.

I am about 90% ready to say goodbye forever to ROSA and Open Mandriva at this moment and you guys are the main reason why I still want to bother with ROSA and Open Mandriva.
Thanks for your appreciation about my work made for our community, you give me some force to push me to go on... :)

viking
Utente junior
Utente junior

Post by viking »

NicCo wrote: mmm... you can try in the Bios,
few laptop bios is capable to manage the hybrid hardware, for example the DELL,
I had one that you can manage the Intel/Nvidia switch (Intel only, Nvidia only, Auto)

if you will find a way to enable the video hardware you want on boot, you should solve
your R7 installation, you must surf all menu in your bios searching the item to change
Great idea, but I just checked every single option in BIOS and haven't found anything. :(
NicCo wrote: If this is not possible, you have still another chance:
you can try install the ROSA R6, update all, then install the kernel your laptop prefers
yes, I know there will be a lot of updates to wait, but at the end you will be into the R7
you can start a global urpmi --auto-update --auto, then go out to walk, when you come
back your installation will be R7... I think this is a road you can try
Actually I have already tried to install R6 some time ago, but without success. I was waiting for R7 in hope that installation would be possible.

I will make R6 USB now and try again, since I cannot remember what exactly was the problem with R6.

I will also try with OpenMandriva Lx 2014.2 again, but if I remember correctly I had UEFI issues with it. I just do not want to disable secure boot.
NicCo wrote: there is still another chance, I can ask to Pulfer if he can push an unofficial iso with
my kernel nrjQL, to suggest when there are unsolvable issues like those you met...
To be honest, I like this option the most of all. :)
NicCo wrote: Thanks for your appreciation about my work made for our community, you give me some force to push me to go on... :)
You and all guys behind MIB project deserve every word I wrote!

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by NicCo »

viking wrote:I will also try with OpenMandriva Lx 2014.2 again, but if I remember correctly I had UEFI issues with it. I just do not want to disable secure boot.
on ROSA R7 the implementation of EFI/UEFI/GPT and Secure Boot is just simply PERFECT! You are right!

on Lx 2014.2 this UEFI part is rather primitive and not really usable, Secure Boot should be disabled at all...
during the last OMA meeting, I read that a new Lx is coming, it should be called, Lx2, still based on lx 2014 core, but greatly renewed
with all updates, plus a new kernel (4.4?), new drivers, new applications, a new installer (a real working Secure Boot implementation?)
I dont know the roadmap, we should ask to our "rugyada", she has followed carefully all the OMA meetings

About an unofficial R7 iso, tomorrow I'll ask to Pulfer if is possible, we are able to host ISO also on MIB,
in the meanhile I could update my kernel to current version, better using February kernel with latest fixes,
if he will answer positively, I'll push my new kernel the next week coming...

viking
Utente junior
Utente junior

Post by viking »

NicCo wrote: on ROSA R7 the implementation of EFI/UEFI/GPT and Secure Boot is just simply PERFECT! You are right!

About an unofficial R7 iso, tomorrow I'll ask to Pulfer if is possible, we are able to host ISO also on MIB,
in the meanhile I could update my kernel to current version, better using February kernel with latest fixes,
if he will answer positively, I'll push my new kernel the next week coming...
Hello from R7 live! :D

I finally made it.

Road to success is to simply edit boot params and to add:

nomodeset xforcevesa

I hope I would be able to install it now. If I succeed, first thing I would do would be to replace the kernel. :)

live@dragon ~ $ inxi -F
System:    Host: localhost Kernel: 4.1.15-nrj-desktop-1rosa-x86_64 x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 4.14.13 Distro: RosaDesktopFresh 2014.1 Fresh
Machine:   System: Dell product: Latitude E7450
           Mobo: Dell model: 0YGN55 v: A00 Bios: Dell v: A09 date: 11/18/2015
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-5600U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 3200 MHz 1: 3134 MHz 2: 3192 MHz 3: 3102 MHz
           4: 3193 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 840M]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.4 drivers: fbdev,intel (unloaded: vesa)
           Resolution: 1024x768@76.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.7, 256 bits)
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 11.0.6
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 Intel Broadwell-U Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: ALSA v: k4.1.15-nrj-desktop-1rosa-x86_64
Network:   Card-1: Intel Ethernet Connection (3) I218-LM driver: e1000e
           IF: eno1 state: down mac: 20:47:47:ae:5e:6a
           Card-2: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: 5c:e0:c5:7f:c3:0d
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 516.1GB (1.2% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: TS512GMSA370 size: 512.1GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: STORAGE_DEVICE size: 4.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 8.3G used: 5.7G (70%) fs: ext3 dev: /dev/dm-2
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 71.0C mobo: 25.0C
Info:      Processes: 209 Uptime: 5 min Memory: 619.6/16005.3MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.27 
I need to check few things post install. I need to be sure that my 4G modem works, that I can run both graphic cards and that battery works at least as in Fedora.

This do not looks promising at all. :(

live@dragon ~ $  acpi -V
Battery 0: Discharging, 91%, 01:45:53 remaining
Battery 0: design capacity 6660 mAh, last full capacity 6434 mAh = 96%
It's unacceptable for 6660 mAh battery (actually it's declared as 7000 mAh)! :o

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by NicCo »

a different kernel flavour may have less consumption, sometimes a -laptop kernel may help,
then disabling almost useless services like indexers (akonadi, baloo) rolling hdisks all time,
you should try to tuneup everything to gain a better battery lasting, the only suggestion i can

in openmandriva are developing the TUNED thing, you can try if rosa has this tool too
https://fedorahosted.org/tuned/

in whatever case, I fear that nowdays with windows os the battery will last more than linux...

viking
Utente junior
Utente junior

Post by viking »

NicCo wrote:a different kernel flavour may have less consumption, sometimes a -laptop kernel may help,
then disabling almost useless services like indexers (akonadi, baloo) rolling hdisks all time,
you should try to tuneup everything to gain a better battery lasting, the only suggestion i can

in openmandriva are developing the TUNED thing, you can try if rosa has this tool too
https://fedorahosted.org/tuned/

in whatever case, I fear that nowdays with windows os the battery will last more than linux...
I successfully installed R7.

Kernel immediately replaced with nrjQL-desktop.

viking@dragon ~ $ uname -a
Linux dragon 4.1.15-nrjQL-desktop-ql1rosa #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 23 21:32:57 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I am using TLP. Is Tuned better?

Battery time looks very promising now.

viking@dragon ~ $ acpi -V
Battery 0: Discharging, 95%, 06:35:22 remaining
Battery 0: design capacity 6660 mAh, last full capacity 6434 mAh = 96%
I guess it would be even better with nrjQL-laptop. I will try.

btw. mSSD do not spin. :)

euspectre
Nuovo utente
Nuovo utente
ROSA: Desktop Fresh R1
Kernel: 4.1.16-nrj-desktop-1
Desktop: KDE

Post by euspectre »

The patchsets used in the nrj-desktop kernels from ROSA R7 and in the nrj-desktop kernels NicCo builds do not differ that much w.r.t. the core kernel stuff. The differences are mostly in the set of the built drivers.

So the problem might be somewhere in the kernel configuration files. I will take a look.

Could you check that the problem does not show up if you use kernel 4.1.15-nrj-desktop from NicCo's repositories (rather than nrjQL-desktop)?

By the way, if you find a problem in ROSA distros in the future, be it in the kernel or not, please report it to our bug tracker as well: http://bugs.rosalinux.ru/
This way, our maintainers will be notified.

As for collecting the system logs, hardware info and other useful stuff, you can use hw-probe tool in ROSA and OpenMandriva: http://hw.rosalinux.ru/index.php?show=check. This is usually faster that collecting each log individually. Unfortunately, hw-probe is not available on Fedora yet.

euspectre
Nuovo utente
Nuovo utente
ROSA: Desktop Fresh R1
Kernel: 4.1.16-nrj-desktop-1
Desktop: KDE

Post by euspectre »

Additionally, you can try the test ISO images with the kernel 4.4.1, built last week, in Live mode.

The images are available here:
https://abf.io/platforms/rosa2014.1/pro ... ists/14366

I made some improvements there but do not know if they help in your case.

The images have received only minimal testing and may be buggy but at least one can see if the system boots in Live mode.

viking
Utente junior
Utente junior

Post by viking »

euspectre wrote:The differences are mostly in the set of the built drivers.

So the problem might be somewhere in the kernel configuration files. I will take a look.

Could you check that the problem does not show up if you use kernel 4.1.15-nrj-desktop from NicCo's repositories (rather than nrjQL-desktop)?
Since I didn't want to guess which nrj kernel is which I first booted with nrjQL and then removed all nrj kernels. Then installed nrj using just NicCo's repo to be sure I only have his nrj kernel.

NicCo's nrj kernel works fine, just like nrjQL.

viking@dragon ~ $ inxi -F
System:    Host: dragon Kernel: 4.1.15-nrj-desktop-1rosa x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.5.3
Machine:   System: Dell product: Latitude E7450
           Mobo: Dell model: 0YGN55 v: A00 Bios: Dell v: A09 date: 11/18/2015
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-5600U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 3200 MHz 1: 2600 MHz 2: 2600 MHz 3: 2599 MHz 4: 3019 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 840M]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.0.6
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 Intel Broadwell-U Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.1.15-nrj-desktop-1rosa
Network:   Card-1: Intel Ethernet Connection (3) I218-LM driver: e1000e
           IF: eno1 state: down mac: 20:47:47:ae:5e:6a
           Card-2: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: 5c:e0:c5:7f:c3:0d
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 512.1GB (2.8% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: TS512GMSA370 size: 512.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 32G used: 5.5G (18%) fs: xfs dev: /dev/dm-0
           ID-2: /boot size: 477M used: 78M (18%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 8.59GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0C mobo: 25.0C
Info:      Processes: 188 Uptime: 0 min Memory: 859.7/15941.5MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.27 
euspectre wrote: By the way, if you find a problem in ROSA distros in the future, be it in the kernel or not, please report it to our bug tracker as well: http://bugs.rosalinux.ru/
This way, our maintainers will be notified.

As for collecting the system logs, hardware info and other useful stuff, you can use hw-probe tool in ROSA and OpenMandriva: http://hw.rosalinux.ru/index.php?show=check. This is usually faster that collecting each log individually. Unfortunately, hw-probe is not available on Fedora yet.
As a developer I know how annoying might be to see a bug report for something that is documented as an issue. I will always ask in forum first. And more important I didn't have any way to even boot into console, so I knew that I will not be able to provide any log or to execute any command.

I was ready to give up. Fortunately I found nomodeset xforcevesa in some mint thread and then I was finally able to start live mode.

I can send you any command result, hw-probe or any log you want. I have working R7 now. :)
euspectre wrote:Additionally, you can try the test ISO images with the kernel 4.4.1, built last week, in Live mode.

The images are available here:
https://abf.io/platforms/rosa2014.1/pro ... ists/14366

I made some improvements there but do not know if they help in your case.

The images have received only minimal testing and may be buggy but at least one can see if the system boots in Live mode.
I will download, make bootable USB and try. I will let you know.