Text and specifications taken from the resources currently in Russian only
ROSA 2021 Main
STC IT ROSA has released a new version of the free distribution kit ROSA Fresh based on the new rosa2021.1 platform.
ROSA Fresh is a modern community-driven GNU / Linux-based operating system that is legally available to everyone, completely free of charge and without registration. The source codes of the system are published under the GPL license in ROSA's own build system - ABF.
At the moment, an image with the KDE Plasma 5 desktop environment has been officially released.
ROSA Fresh 12 is marketed as the first release on the new platform to showcase the platform's capabilities.
The main features of the platform are the transition to rpm4 and the dnf package manager, as well as full support for aarch64 (ARMv8), including the Russian Baikal-M processors.
ROSA Fresh 12
is the first release on the new 2021.1 platform to showcase the platform's capabilities. This release is aimed primarily at Linux enthusiasts and contains the latest software releases.
The first desktop for the release is KDE5, images with the rest will be later.
To avoid errors, use the proprietary ROSA ImageWriter utility to write the image to USB drives.
Features of the new platform rosa2021.1 described on the page " Release Information ROSA Fresh 12 "
Known Issues and Solutions
ROSA Fresh 12 Release Notes
New platform rosa2021.1
- to resolve DNS names * .local, it may be necessary to rearrange the mdns4_minimal module ahead of the resolve module in /etc/nsswitch.conf (it is planned to fix this problem in a way)
- automatic installation and configuration of proprietary Nvidia drivers is under development, the availability of the automatic configuration utility in the repository is expected in the near future, in the next release it is planned to integrate their automatic installation into the installer
- when installing without access to the global Internet, the stage of executing post-installation scripts in the installer may take an unreasonably long time (a fix will be available soon)
What's New in Release 12
- The transition from RPM 5 and urpmi package managers to RPM 4 and dnf was carried out , which made the work of the package system much more stable and predictable
- package base, glibc version 2.33 (backward compatible with Linux kernels up to 4.14.x), gcc version 11.2
- Added full support for the aarch64 (ARMv8) platform, incl. Russian processors "Baikal-M", support for architecture e2k ("Elbrus") is under development
- 32-bit x86 architecture renamed from i586 to i686
- The 32-bit x86 (i686) architecture repository continues to exist, but the architecture is no longer tested by the QA department
- The minimal base system has been improved, its size has been significantly reduced, the delivery of regular assemblies of minimum rootfs for all three supported architectures is ensured, which can be used to create containers based on the rosa2021.1 platform or to install the system (to get a startup OS, it is enough to install several meta-packages: dnf install basesystem-mandatory task-kernel grub2 (-efi) task-x11, and also install OS bootloader (grub2-install))
- Provided the availability of some additional kernel modules in binary form (drivers for Wi-Fi / Bluetooth adapters Realtek RTL8821CU, RTL8821CE, Broadcom (broadcom-wl)) and their delivery "out of the box", which allows you not to compile them on your computer; it is planned to expand the list of binary modules, incl. in the near future, ensure the delivery of kernel modules from proprietary Nvidia drivers in a ready-to-use form without compilation
- Anaconda is used as the installer (installer), which, in cooperation with the upstream, has been modified to improve usability
- Automated methods of operating system deployment became available: PXE, automatic installation using Kickstart scripts ( instruction )
- Improved compatibility with RPM packages for RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, SUSE distributions: added providers to some packages with different names, the package manager is compatible with them in terms of the repository metadata format (for example, now, if you install an RPM package with proprietary Google Chrome browsers, its own repository connected to it works)
- The server part of the distribution has been significantly improved: assemblies of minimal server images have been adjusted , many server packages have been worked out; their development and writing continues
- A unified assembly mechanism for all official ISO images has been created, which can also be used to create your own assemblies
- Active use of the / usr / libexec directory has been started
- Provided support for IMA - easy and fast organization of a closed software environment, incl. using GOST algorithms, which allows prohibiting the execution of untrusted code (in this case, the administrator himself determines what he considers to be trusted, no trust is imposed on third-party software), which is important for building highly secure desktop, server and cloud environments; plans to embed IMA signatures in official packages
- RPM database migrated from BerkleyDB to SQlite
- Systemd-resolved is used by default for DNS resolution
- A redesigned design (based on breeze, with an original set of icons) in line with modern trends, yet retaining its recognizability, colors and usability.
- Glibc 2.33 (backward compatible with Linux kernels up to 4.14.x), GCC 11.2, systemd 249+
- Updated login interface based on GDM
- Support for easy and fast organization of a closed software environment "out of the box", which allows you to prohibit the execution of untrusted code (while the administrator himself determines what he considers trusted, does not impose trust on third-party software), which is important for building highly secure desktop, server and cloud environments ( IMA )
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop
and OpenMandriva Lx
--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL