General Information on ROSA LINUX
ROSA: products list
DOWNLOADS R11, all available here:
>>> https://mirror.yandex.ru/rosa/rosa2016. ... Fresh.R11/
This time have been officially released four different flavours: Plasma5, KDE4, LxQT, XFCE!"Svetlana Savelyeva has announced the release of ROSA R11, a new stable version from the project that develops a set of desktop-oriented distributions (originally forked from Mandriva Linux).
The new release is available in four variants featuring KDE 4, KDE Plasma, LXDE and Xfce desktops.
Some of the improvements in this release include: updated Linux kernel 4.15; updated desktops - KDE Plasma 22.214.171.124, LXQt 0.14.0 and Xfce 4.13.2; added support for installing system on M.2 and NVME SSD storage devices; added file system support for F2FS flash drives to the ROSA installer; improved graphic subsystem when ROSA is used as a guest system in virtual machines based on KVM and Hyper-V; added firmware to installation images to support Epson scanners; the system now creates a universal initrd instead of a hardware-specific one by default; the new btrfs-progs 4.19.1 now includes support for ZSTD compression algorithm....
See the release announcement and release notes (both links in Russian) for further information. Download (pkglist): ROSA.FRESH.PLASMA5.R11.x86_64.iso (2,204MB, MD5, torrent), ROSA.FRESH.KDE4.R11.x86_64.iso (2,055MB, MD5, torrent), ROSA.FRESH.LXQT.R11.x86_64.iso (1,564MB, MD5, torrent), ROSA.FRESH.XFCE.R11.x86_64.iso (1,680MB, MD5, torrent).
Separate ISO images with support for booting on computers using the UEFI firmware implementation are also available."
and we will have a much greater choice, work in progress (almost ready) for:
ROSA GNOME > https://abf.rosalinux.ru/platforms/rosa ... oducts/178
ROSA MATE > https://abf.rosalinux.ru/platforms/rosa ... oducts/203
ROSA REDX4 > https://abf.rosalinux.ru/platforms/rosa ... oducts/225
from the above links you can already download, try and test the current daily ISOs...
RELEASE NOTES (translated from the russian site)
ROSA FRESH. MADE FOR HOME USERS.
ROSA Fresh is a modern domestic Linux operating system created by the community and legally accessible to everyone for free and without registration.
Source codes of the entire system are published under the GPL license.
Download ROSA Fresh >
For corporate users, we recommend ROSA Enterprise Desktop , as well as our certified solutions - ROSA COBALT.
ROSA DESKTOP FRESH R11
The final release of the home distribution based on the platform 2016.1
Two-year release support.
ROSA Desktop Fresh R11 - the final release of the home distribution based on the platform 2016.1. This platform in accordance with the release policy will be supported for another 2 years - until the development of the new platform 2019.1 is completed. The previous platform - 2014.1 - will be withdrawn from support after the release of the next, corrective release of R11.1, so users of the platform 2014.1 should plan an update in the coming months.
For ROSA Fresh R11, images with four desktop environments are available. The remaining options will be published as they are prepared by the community.
General features of the R11 release:
RPM 5 and urpmi are still used in the ROSA distribution. Compared with the release of R10 RPM has been finalized:
- Components updated to new stable versions, fixed a large number of errors.
- The Linux 4.15.0-x kernel, based on the generic kernel of Ubuntu 18.04, is used as the base, with additions and settings specific to ROSA (for example, full preemption, SELinux support instead of AppArmor, etc.). Other kernel versions are available in separate repositories: x86_64 , i586
- Glibc 2.24 ( in backward compatibility mode with Linux kernels up to 2.6.32), Qt 5.11.2, GTK + 3.22, MESA 18.3.4, LLVM 6, GCC 5
- Added support for installing system on M.2 and NVME SSD
- File system for F2FS flash drives added to ROSA installer
- The graphic subsystem is improved for those cases when ROSA is used as a guest system in virtual machines based on KVM and Hyper-V (in special additional images)
- Added firmware files to installation images to support Epson scanners.
- The default is to create a universal initrd instead of a hardware-specific one.
- btrfs-progs version 4.19.1 has zstd compression support, which is also in the 4.15 kernel out of the box, which, in combination with the flexible installer, allows you to install ROSA on non-standard configurations with BTRFS (note that Grub still does not load the system with BTRFS + ZSTD , so when using the root in ZSTD, make / boot a separate partition or defragment it within the existing partition with compression in non-zstd)
- There are rootfs builds for chroot, manual installation and containers
More information about the operating system ROSA Desktop Fresh R11 can be found here.
- The process of installing and removing programs has been accelerated several times by disabling the force call of fsync () after each transaction, which is not necessary on modern file systems
- Fixed a buffer overflow when installing an RPM package with a huge number of objects (more than 120 thousand)
- From RPM 4 to RPM 5, multi-threaded xz compression is ported; by default, multi-threaded xz compression is enabled with standard compression 6 for RPM packaging and compression 2 for SRPM packaging ( more )
- Fixed severe memory leak when running rpmlint
General principles of all ROSA Linux releases:
Download ROSA Desktop Fresh R11 >
- Fast installation of the working system as a ready solution for the user without any extra questions and settings (the installer copies the Live system to the disk using rsync)
- Maximum possible support for various hardware configurations, incl. there are pre-installed non-standard drivers for popular WiFi adapters, loading is supported on systems with UEFI and "Secure Boot" too.
- Reinstalling the system while preserving all user data (assuming it is set by default), which allows even an inexperienced user to restore the system’s performance in case of failures (i.e., automatic partitioning makes a separate / home partition, which will be saved during the system reinstallation and will not formatted)
- Most of the programs needed by the user are immediately in the image, and the rest are set up in the majority of our repositories, without surfing the manufacturers websites and connecting third-party repositories
- Ability to work with the system without using the command line, including the installation of proprietary drivers for video cards through a graphical or pseudo-graphic interface
- You can easily rebuild any ISO image by making the necessary changes.
- Increased attention to Russian localization