Mandriva Linux will return to the Community

(News about Mandriva) Forum closed. Archive available.
NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by NicCo »

from Mandriva Blog
http://blog.mandriva.com/en/2012/05/17/ ... community/
Mandriva Linux will return to the community
Posted on May 17, 2012 by Jean-Manuel Croset

Dear users, friends, fans and supporters of the Mandriva Linux distribution,

after reviewing all your messages, suggestions, ideas and comments, Mandriva SA took the decision to transfer the responsibility of the Mandriva Linux distribution to an independent entity. This means that the future of the distribution will not be arbitrary decided by the Mandriva company anymore, but we intend to let the distribution evolve in and under the caring responsibility of the community. Mandriva SA will of course be a part of this entity and will support it with direct contributions. It is expected to fulfill this move within the next months and a workgroup of community representatives is being setup right now. This workgroup will be assigned the task to define the structures, processes and organization of the new entity and will start to work in the next few days.

We believe that this new approach is the best to achieve a better relation of Mandriva Linux with its community and to encourage the contributions that will lead to issue the best possible products.

Mandriva SA
Jean-Manuel Croset
CEO
bye, NicCo
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Re: Mandriva Linux will return to the Community

Post by NicCo »

FYI to those not subscribed to cooker
Date: 2012/5/17
Subject: [Cooker] Mandriva Linux will return to the community
To: cooker@mandrivalinux.org

http://blog.mandriva.com/en/

It's now official.
Mandriva Linux project will be lead by an independant entity.

- Mandriva SA still support this project in it and invest time, work and money in it.

- Now, at this moment, there is a temporary "arbitrary" workgroup, which is working on how organize the structure, the processes etc. I say "arbitrary" because we (i am in this group) are not elected by the community. So this situation is only temporary as we are working on how having a democratic structure.

- Still temporary "arbitrary" but for the same reason, Per Øyvind Karlsen (proyvind) will be acting as project leader for the course of Mandriva Linux 2012 development, with Bernhard Rosenkränzer (aka bero) & Matthew Dawkins (aka mdawkins also founder of Unity Linux Project, close partner of Mandriva) as release managers of. Thanks to them for accepting these roles, and to maintain this project during this transition, it's a huge work.

- The wiki is still hosted on mandriva.com domain, so does the forum, but as annouced by JM Croset, it's now the community wiki : don't hesitate to fill it, give your ideas, etc here
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2012_Development
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2012.0_specs_proposal
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Ideas_Mandriva_2012.0

- Many people told us (especially in community@ boxmail) to have RedHat/Fedora as an example to follow. Even if we get closer to this model, the relation will not be the same (correct me if I'm wrong) as Fedora is not independant from RedHat and its decisions.
In our case, when the structure will be created and all legal stuff solved (trademark etc), the governance of Mandriva Linux will be under the responsibility of the community (maybe in a model closer to Debian), and will be totally independant from Mandriva SA. Mandriva Sa will be a partner like any other people or company wanting to contribute to the project : no more voice, no less.

- Soon there will have new channels especially for this project, but at this moment, don't hesitate to give your advice/feedback in this list, in the wiki or directly to the CEO (JM Croset) at community@mandriva.com (you can also write to this mailbox if you want more explanations, or wanting to be part of the temporary workgroup). And of course, in our forum.

Raphaël Jadot
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by NicCo »

May 18, 2012 at 2:55 am

Per Øyvind Karlsen says:

Some further details regarding the Mandriva Linux distribution has been posted in the forums:
http://forum.mandriva.com/en/viewtopic. ... 5&t=137576

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by NicCo »