Amministratore
Amministratore
ROSA: ROSA.Fresh R8 64bit
OpenMandriva: OMLx 4.2
Kernel: kernel-release
Desktop: KDE tutta la vita

OpenMandriva tribute to Mandriva/Mandrake

Post by rugyada »

OpenMandriva tribute to Mandriva/Mandrake, and announcing new upcoming 2014.2 update release

Hi there
Good news everyone, a new version of OpenMandriva is ready to see the world in a few days, 2014.2 will soon be making its way to you. Listen out for details, features - and torrents!

OpenMandriva‘s history is well known. It was born at the tail of 2012 with the help of the community and Mandriva SA to continue the work on the distribution after Mandriva SA could not continue that.
We thank Mandriva SA for their support at the start and wish the remaining Mandriva employees well for the future.

The OpenMandriva Association was created to unite the distribution formally known as Mandriva (aka Mandrake); to bring it back to its roots through listening to peoples needs and getting closer to its users and developers. Since then we have been independent (though we always welcome cooperative effort). We are glad to say that we continue to do this and will be bringing you a new release of OpenMandriva Lx 3 (2015) in the near future that will include new features and an update of many of the core components.

Mandrake was the first distribution to make a free operating system available which could be installed and configured by anyone who could use a keyboard and a mouse. When many of us first came to the “linux” world, there were two types of distro, the ones that gave you headaches as soon as you put the CD in the slot, and then there was Mandrake. The vision of its founder Gael Duval created an operating system which undoubtedly allowed many, many people access to modern technology and in doing so added greatly to the strength of the free software community.

We do and will do our very best to continue to hold and carry their crown - for you.

Always here for you
OpenMandriva
Source:

So if anyone worried, OpenMandriva is here, well safe and sound and kicking around ;-)
Whatsoever happened to Mandriva SA company it doesn't affect OpenMandriva community and distro in any way.
ciauu ciauu, ruru

MIB... e le stelle stanno a guardare.
«E' bello avere delle certezze, tipo la terra gira, il sole è caldo, se ti prendi con quelli del MIB vieni fanculizzato. Cose semplici, in fondo» (M.C.)

rugyada
Amministratore
Amministratore
ROSA: ROSA.Fresh R8 64bit
OpenMandriva: OMLx 4.2
Kernel: kernel-release
Desktop: KDE tutta la vita

Re: OpenMandriva tribute to Mandriva/Mandrake

Post by rugyada »

Gaël Duval's comment:

Gaël Duval wrote: Yesterday we learned that Mandriva, the company was shutting down and I saw a lot of sad comments on Twitter. Then I realized that few of those guys seemd to be aware that actually, Mandriva the company, wasn’t doing a Linux distribution anymore for a few years. The Mandriva Linux distribution is now OpenMandriva (and even eventually forked as PCLinuxOS and Mageia).
As someone twitted it, “FOSS is FOSS”. True! that’s the power of FOSS that projects keep alive, and that’s the reason why I think that creating Mandrake Linux 17 years ago was not totally losing my time :)
And now, we don’t have to be sad, we have to focus on today’s IT concerns which, in my opinion, are privacy and the Google monopoly.

Source: Gaël Duval's blog http://www.indidea.org/gael/blog/?p=546
ciauu ciauu, ruru

MIB... e le stelle stanno a guardare.
«E' bello avere delle certezze, tipo la terra gira, il sole è caldo, se ti prendi con quelli del MIB vieni fanculizzato. Cose semplici, in fondo» (M.C.)