Nuovo utente
Nuovo utente
ROSA: -
OpenMandriva: -
Kernel: -
Desktop: KDE/Plasma

[SOLVED] Missing Source RPMs

Post by solbu »

By accident I found that minitube v2.0 is build for mdv2010.2 and distributed by MIB, so I wanted to take the source rpm and build it myself. But I can't find the source rpm. and I think many of the latest src.rpms for 2010.2 is not published for some reason, while the binary rpms are distributed.

Does anyone know why, and can it be fixed? (i don't use binary packages that there is no source rpms for.)
Last edited by solbu on 28 April 2013, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
Free Software activist – because Freedom matters

ominomichelin
Utente
Utente
OpenMandriva: 2009.1 x86_64
Kernel: 2.6.29.1

Re: Missing Source RPMs

Post by ominomichelin »

solbu wrote:
Does anyone know why, and can it be fixed? (i don't use binary packages that there is no source rpms for.)
You tell me that you don't have installed skype, opera, teamviewer, flash-player/flash-player-plugin, nvidia/ati drivers, Google Earth, Adobe Reader,dropbox, sopcast-player, or everything else from non-free ?
What difference does it make for you if I take compiled binary and slap it in a srpm and publish it ? As it is done with most of the non-free packages?
Do you realize that you ask a source package that is 3 years old for a distro that has no longer support for 2 years?
What are you needing the srpm for? When you can build whatever from source , you have the instructions about the build in the source tarball .
You also can download the rpm and explode it in a chroot to check it if you don't trust MIB.
Now ,I don't know MIB's policy about old/obsolete srpms, but since they offer those services for the community FOR FREE ,at least you can do is to trust them.
http://www.mandrivausers.ro/ MRB aint no shit , :p Linux user number 507107 Nu dați banii pe prostii, puneți Linux pe PISI !

solbu
Nuovo utente
Nuovo utente

Post by solbu »

ominomichelin wrote:
solbu wrote:
You tell me that you don't have installed skype, opera, teamviewer, flash-player/flash-player-plugin, nvidia/ati drivers, Google Earth, Adobe Reader,dropbox, sopcast-player, or everything else from non-free ?
Yes, that is what I am saying. :) Note that I did not say that the package in question was a non-free program. I said that I do not use Binary packages that do not have a coresponding source package. (A compiled program like eg. firefox, is a binary program.) This also means that if someone have a Firefox rpm but doesn't offer the coresponding src.rpm package, I won't install the rpm.

I have only one -1- Non-free program installed on my systems, Opera (because I used it long before I started using GNU/Linux full time some 12 years ago, and it has some features I can't find in other browsers), and I have most of the codecs (mainly win32 and real codecs) from PLF. Nothing else from Non-free is installed on my systems. But Opera and the codec packages all have a src.rpm published, and I can use the opera src.rpm to package update for me and a few friends if I wanted to.

I do not run proprietary kernel drivers, as I don't trust proprietary elements in the kernel. We can't independently verify that for example nVidia doesn't spy on the users. I do not belive they do, but we can't be sure because we can't check the source code. Therefore I don't trust it.
What difference does it make for you if I take compiled binary and slap it in a srpm and publish it ? As it is done with most of the non-free packages?

Minitube is not a proprietary package, it is a GPLv3+ program that I maintained for Mandriva, until the problems surrounding the build server infrastructure move to ABF started in november 2012.
Do you realize that you ask a source package that is 3 years old
The program in question, Minitube v2.0, was released upstream on february 2, 2013 and packaged by MIB for mdv2010.2 on february 9, 2013, but MIB forgot to publish the source package.
for a distro that has no longer support for 2 years?
The latest MIB package for mdv2010.2 was released in february 9 2013. and Mandriva ended support for 2010.2 on July 8, 2012, so it's not even a year since support ended. And I should know this, as I'm a Mageia and Mandriva packager. :)
What are you needing the srpm for? When you can build whatever from source , you have the instructions about the build in the source tarball .

I need it because the latest minitube package doesn't build on 2010.2, I need to see what changes MIB made to the spec file to make it build. I suspect they added new build requirements, maybe requirements on updated package versions that mdv2010.2 doesn't have.
Now ,I don't know MIB's policy about old/obsolete srpms, but since they offer those services for the community FOR FREE ,at least you can do is to trust them.
Then they should prove that they're worth the trust, by providing the source package. Minitube is under GPLv3, so MIB is obligated by the license to publish the sources.

One of the intent in my original post is that the missing source rpms might be a mistake somewhere, maybe just a script error in the MIB build servers.

ominomichelin
Utente
Utente

Post by ominomichelin »

I'M NOT A MIB PACKAGER OR WHATSOEVER , this being said , let's cut the crap :
Listen mister packager sir , I know you have great technicians , on that great distro of yours.. stilling others work is not a way to do a packager career ... You should start learning some packaging basics,
I know Hannula, Wang and other great , great packagers ask them to teach you, ....
And yeah, about minitube... listen packager, minitube was imported in mandriva by ME, clear? and Anne Nicolas took it and pushed it in contrib , just for the record..
so as I see this sickness to take somebody else's work and claim it as yours is still in use on mga....
And if you really maintained minitube for mdv, than why you need mib srpm for?
Do the right thing , learn the packaging and quit stilling ...

Just for the record doing a quick search mib srpms , as all mib work is public and open to everybody, but there is a problem ...you have to engage the second neuron ( supposing you have it ..) to get it....
And so ..you are mandriva packager , you know what is funny I can not find you on cooker packagers or anywhere else on ABF, so stop bulshitting the people here... go back to mga and learn packaging.
I'm out
http://www.mandrivausers.ro/ MRB aint no shit , :p Linux user number 507107 Nu dați banii pe prostii, puneți Linux pe PISI !

rugyada
Amministratore
Amministratore
ROSA: ROSA.Fresh R8 64bit
OpenMandriva: OMLx 4.2
Kernel: kernel-release
Desktop: KDE tutta la vita

Post by rugyada »

Hello solbu, welcome. Many greetings to you too...

You've been so nice, so kind, that you deserve reply, even if only for your good manner.

Let's start from the end
solbu wrote:Then they should prove that they're worth the trust,
Wrong.

we should prove nothing.
We dont come to your home and install anything.
You want? is there. Dont want? dont get.

We dont sell anything, you dont buy anything from us.

On the contrary, we donate our time and our knowledge.

And you cannot pretend a dried fig.

If something is missing in repository, yes it's may be due to whatever reason. By mistake, a script error, files corruption, short on time, short on connection, short on money, short on have to stay at home and simultaneous itch to go and enjoy an icecream, etc., who knows?

ATM we're very very busy and committed in help and improve ROSA Linux, and OpenMandriva Association. We dont have much time,
BUT:

I'm going to do 2 things:

1) dont allow people posting in MIB Forum before they introduce themselves, so that nobody else will be able to come here at MIB's to pretend whatsoever and be discourteous at the first shot.

2) IF and WHEN I have time and/or will I'll take inventory of the missing sources and hide the corresponding rpm files.
We will let the users know the availability of binary and give the link for download only through personal emails/contact.

That will satisfy you, then?
Will you be more happy? Very good!

Finally a piece of advice:
Next time -if any - start with something like (just an example): Oh you MIB guys thank you for your hard unpaid work. Since I'm not able to do it myself - or also I dont bother to search and study for fixes like you did -I would ask you if you kindly can send me the source of xyz.rpm because I would like to build it for merjuytiqòxvzwja Linux (or also you may tell a lie and say you want to build for yourself, who cares)

I'm sure you'll get more chance.

Aloha.
ciauu ciauu, ruru

MIB... e le stelle stanno a guardare.
«E' bello avere delle certezze, tipo la terra gira, il sole è caldo, se ti prendi con quelli del MIB vieni fanculizzato. Cose semplici, in fondo» (M.C.)

solbu
Nuovo utente
Nuovo utente

Post by solbu »

ominomichelin wrote:minitube was imported in mandriva by ME, clear? and Anne Nicolas took it and pushed it in contrib , just for the record.
I never said I imported it, I said I maintained it, there's a difference. If you search for minitube on mandrivas maintainers database, you'll find that I am still listed as it's maintainer.
I can not find you on cooker packagers
Then let me help you find them. :) And let's use Minitube as the example. Here is a Mandriva minitube package that I pushed.
or anywhere else on ABF
If you read my post you'll also read that I never said I was on ABF. I have not worked on any Mandriva packages after the move to ABF because of a few problems with the move. Problems that I'm not going to discuss here, as it's not important to the topic at hand.

solbu
Nuovo utente
Nuovo utente

Post by solbu »

rugyada wrote:Hello solbu, welcome. Many greetings to you too...

You've been so nice, so kind, that you deserve reply, even if only for your good manner.
Thank you for the greeting.
I always try to be polite and express good manners. I don't always succeed thou. :)
If something is missing in repository, yes it's may be due to whatever reason. By mistake, a script error, files corruption, short on time, short on connection, short on money, short on have to stay at home and simultaneous itch to go and enjoy an icecream, etc., who knows?
2) IF and WHEN I have time and/or will I'll take inventory of the missing sources and hide the corresponding rpm files.

That will satisfy you, then?
That will fix the problem of missing files, yes, even if it's not the fix I was hoping for. :)

Let me close by stating what apparently seems not to be obvious to everyone. If people read my first post they will read that I asked a simple question about why the file was missing, and if it could be fixed.

Mayavimmer
Utente junior
Utente junior
ROSA: ROSA Desktp Frsh R2
Kernel: 3.11.10-nrjQL-deskto
Desktop: KDE

Re: [SOLVED] Missing Source RPMs

Post by Mayavimmer »

Disclaimer: I know none of the parties involved.

This is the original post as edited on the 28th:
solbu wrote:By accident I found that minitube v2.0 is build for mdv2010.2 and distributed by MIB, so I wanted to take the source rpm and build it myself. But I can't find the source rpm. and I think many of the latest src.rpms for 2010.2 is not published for some reason, while the binary rpms are distributed.

In my humble opinion there is nothing wrong with this. It is polite and correct and it expresses a legitimate concern. The replies on the other hand show misunderstanding on several aspects of the OP and are too quick to act, erring on the impolite side. I am not going to quote the entire exchange.

My answer to the question Does anyone know why, and can it be fixed? is: (1) We don't know why (2) Someone will undoubtedly look into it. Optionally, a no response would have been fine too.

C'mon guys, admit you misread the thing and be done with it.

PS: I thank everyone for their free labor.

serma
Utente junior
Utente junior
ROSA: mdv2011
OpenMandriva: 2011upROSA2012LTS
Kernel: 3.8.3-nrj-laptop
Desktop: kde 4.8.5

Post by serma »

rugyada wrote:
solbu wrote:Then they should prove that they're worth the trust,
Wrong.
we should prove nothing.
We dont come to your home and install anything.
You want? is there. Dont want? dont get..
Wrong
free software movement is builded under GPL license and is not depend of good will of participants
GPL is not negotiable you must provide source code <even to Mageia packagers>
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html
trust is builted under free software transparency of code
I and a lot of members we express our appreciation to dev members several time
http://flavio.tordini.org/minitube/minitube-sources
Minitube is Flavio Tordini's intelectual propertie under the GNU General Public License you are obliged follow the rules

rugyada
Amministratore
Amministratore
ROSA: ROSA.Fresh R8 64bit
OpenMandriva: OMLx 4.2
Kernel: kernel-release
Desktop: KDE tutta la vita

Post by rugyada »

Need to reword my comment?

Netiquette:
kindness never hurt, on the contrary make people become willing to help.
Host usually do appreciate newcomer guest saying "Hello", and people at large also appreciate something close to "Please" & "Thank you" if one ask whatever he need.

Quite the contrary, words like "Then they should prove" when "they" are people who really do it 360°for-free is not the best choice.
"They" also can delete repositories. Be sure: losing really nothing in their pockets! Hope you realize...

Thus, what do you believe is the proper behaviour?

Hope my point is more clear now.
ciauu ciauu, ruru

MIB... e le stelle stanno a guardare.
«E' bello avere delle certezze, tipo la terra gira, il sole è caldo, se ti prendi con quelli del MIB vieni fanculizzato. Cose semplici, in fondo» (M.C.)

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by NicCo »

UPDATE:
I full agree with rugyada. Tired of discussions like these...

Mandriva 2010 Minitube SRPM has been lost, once was there, now we deleted the related RPMs

Certainly we do not waste our time to do it again, as 2010 is no longer supported even by MIB...

Now minitube is no more avaialable for Mandriva.
Our Community and Mandriva 2010 users needing minitube will surely know who they will thank for...

If you find other programs which lack the sources, please, let we know so that we can delete them too.

Thanks, for your precious collaboration and help...

bye, NicCo
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL

ominomichelin
Utente
Utente

Post by ominomichelin »

Let's cut the crap :

Code: Select all

* Thu Jun 07 2009 23:09:11 +0200 2009 Beppe Florin  <symbianflo@xxxxxxxx>  minitube-0.5-69.3mib2009.1
+ bug fixes:
	- Search autocomplete
	- Skip to the next when a video cannot be loaded
	- Playlist items can now be dropped onto the video area
	- Fixed messages in the playlist not updating
	- Disabled view crossfade on Linux
	- Save keywords only when there are results
	- Fixed fullscreen keyboard shortcurt not working
	- Polish translation by Grzegorz Gibas
- First attempt for mandriva 2009.0

where the fuck where you and anne nicolas then ? so I said minitube I've imported and I did.
You don't ,
Do a search on the mdv official forum , youll find this post when i accuse here to still my build just before they banned me

I'm repeating : learn the basics of packaging .
And now , no srpm for minitube , ok mib should delete all the rpms that the srpms went lost during the migration... problem solved,
if the community don't want rpms without srpms here you are the solution.

Mayavimmer
Utente junior
Utente junior
ROSA: ROSA Desktp Frsh R2
Kernel: 3.11.10-nrjQL-deskto
Desktop: KDE

Post by Mayavimmer »

Ok this is enough for me. I dissociate myself from the tone and content of this thread. This can only hurt the community.