Collaboratore
Collaboratore
ROSA: 2016.1 Fresh R10
OpenMandriva: -
Kernel: 4.19.13-nrj-desktop
Desktop: Plasma 5

Re: vaapi nvidia driver

Post by GvMariani »

promeneur wrote:there is an inconsistency : kde 4.8.4 via solid uses udisk and xorg uses hal. it's time to unify this, isn't it ? moreover it is known that hal is now deprecated.
You did not read attentively what I wrote:
Alas our xorg for 2010.2 is still compiled with HAL support to autodiscover input devices...
HAL was deprecated in 2011.0; in a standard 2010.2 it was still needed:
so our xorg package for 2010.2 still builds with HAL support enabled to maintain the maximal compatibility with the older distro release...

However, I have already tried privately a build without HAL support on my 2010.2 (it is a compile-time option) and found no real issue: so I would like to make the build of the newer 1.13 (or better 1.13.1, if released in time) without enabling this support...
I'm only waiting the release of the new Mesa 9.0 and of the major video drivers (ati and nouveau, mainly) for the new xserver.

But you can also do-it-yourself, if you don't like waiting:
you only need (beside the build tools and the needed dependencies) the xserver srpm from our repo and, when unpacked in the rpm builddir,
to change only 3 lines from the start of the relevant .spec file:
from
%define enable_hal 1
%define enable_udev 0
%define enable_dbus %{enable_hal}
to
%define enable_hal 0
%define enable_udev 1
%define enable_dbus %{enable_hal}
and rebuild with "rpmbuild -bb namefile.spec"; add "--target i686" to the command line if you are on a 32bit arch.
At the end you will have a bunch of rpms that you can simply install in place of the our ones and voilà
a xserver without need of HAL.

GvM

promeneur
Utente senior
Utente senior
ROSA: -
OpenMandriva: 2010.3 i586
Kernel: 3.5.7 nrj dsktp pae
Desktop: MIB kde 4.8.4

Post by promeneur »

another hypothesis : polkit pakets are not same versions

i have a mix of 0.103.0, 0.9.3, 0.104, 0.9, 4.5.5, 0.96, 0.99.0

libpolkit-qt-agent-1_1 0.103.0
libpolkit-qt-core-1_1 0.103.0
libpolkit-qt-core0 0.9.3
libpolkit-qt-gui0 0.9.3
libpolkit1_0 0.104
libpolkit2 0.9
libpolkitkdeprivate4 4.5.5 (strange because kde 4.8.4 is installed)
polkit 0.104
polkit-gnome 0.96
polkit-kde-agent-1 0.99.0

it is very heterogeneous, isn't it ?
Asus M2N, AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, 8 GB, Asus Nvidia 210 silent, Linksys WMP600N, Plugable USB-BT4LE Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter, lecteur multicarte Addonics AEIDDSAU, HP LaserJet 1220

promeneur
Utente senior
Utente senior

Post by promeneur »

also i discovered
- i have no more access to my mtp, ptp device neither via notifier nor dolphin (place is not added)
- i have no more access to dvd via notifier but i can access via dolphin or dragon player
- i have no more access to audio cd via notifier but i can access via dolphin or amarok
Asus M2N, AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, 8 GB, Asus Nvidia 210 silent, Linksys WMP600N, Plugable USB-BT4LE Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter, lecteur multicarte Addonics AEIDDSAU, HP LaserJet 1220

promeneur
Utente senior
Utente senior

Post by promeneur »

with 2012 rp1 lts x86_64

hardware acceleration works but hw accel is not installed when you install the nvidia driver

you must install vaapi-driver-vdpau (for nvidia card)

for kde you must install gstreamer vaapi (i assume for kde video app)
and
you must ask to kde to use opengl according to have hw accel for the kde desktop

i tested hw accel with vlc :
- without : 34 % cpu power
- with : 13 % cpu power and + 6 °C for the nvidia adapter

not very good i expected 2-3 % cpu power

promeneur
Utente senior
Utente senior

Post by promeneur »

how to unpack x11-server-source ?

promeneur
Utente senior
Utente senior

Post by promeneur »

i unpack x11-server-source with

rpm2cpio x11-server-source-1.12.3-69.1mib2010.2.i686.rpm | cpio -idm

but there is no .spec file

promeneur
Utente senior
Utente senior

Post by promeneur »

where i can find what you call the x server srpms of 1.12.3 ?

thanks

GvMariani
Collaboratore
Collaboratore

Post by GvMariani »

Sorry for the lagging replies:
the "true life" presses me very hard ATM...
promeneur wrote:where i can find what you call the x server srpms of 1.12.3 ?
thanks
2010.2/others/mesa-xorg/srpm/
promeneur wrote:how to unpack x11-server-source ?
Firstly you will need to setup your build configuration:
* install the needed tools and dependencies: you can use the meta-packages task-c-devel and task-c++-devel
* prepare the build system as detailed here
* optionally, if you mainly work from a GUI, install also the rpmxdgtool package from our repos: it allows you to list the description or the contents, install in the building places or unpack in a directory of your choice and also check the correctness, for any src.rpm or rpm file, all from an useful context menu in dolphin or konqueror...

Next (*), install the src.rpm in your building place (usually in rpm/SOURCES and rpm/SPECS in your $homedir):
the .spec file (ie the one actually directing the build process) is in the latter directory, while the actual source files (and any other file needed as well:
patches, .desktop or config files...) are in the former.
You can do it directly with rpm -i or urpmi, or with the above rpmxdgtool script; with urpmi you can also install all the needed dependencies in one shot:
"urpmi --buildrequires packagename.src.rpm".

Now you can edit and tweak the package by editing the spec file and rebuild it by using rpmbuild:
"rpmbuild -ba name.spec" (see "man rpmbuild" for more options).
In the case of our xserver spec file: you will need to adapt some BuildRequires version infos to the packages version actually installed in your PC
(at least the Mesa one: from 9.0 to whatever you have...)

(*) If you only want to rebuild locally a srpm, you can do it directly, without doing all the things detailed above:
"rpmbuild --rebuild (or --recompile) name.src.rpm" is your friend.

GvM
Last edited by GvMariani on 8 October 2012, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.

promeneur
Utente senior
Utente senior

Post by promeneur »

the .spec file (ie the one actually directing the build process) is in the latter directory
where ?
while the actual source files (and any other file needed as well:
where ?

GvMariani
Collaboratore
Collaboratore

Post by GvMariani »

promeneur wrote:
the .spec file (ie the one actually directing the build process) is in the latter directory
where ?
while the actual source files (and any other file needed as well:
where ?
if you did as per instructions in the Mandriva wiki docs I referred to, you should have in your $Homedir a dir named "rpm" with the following subdirs: BUILD, BUILDROOT, RPMS, SOURCES, SPECS, SRPMS and tmp (under RPMS there should be: i586, i686, noarch and x86_64)...
After installing the srpm you will find:
* in SPECS the .spec file for the package: usually it has the same name as the srpm (name.src.rpm => name.spec); this is the one to edit/change if you want to change the building of the srpm
* in SOURCES, as the name implies, you will find all the things needed to build a binary rpm package: the program sources to be compiled mainly, but also patches to be applied, config files to be installed and so on... all the things needed to integrate the program you'are building in the distro structure.

The spec file instructs the build system how to use the stuff in the SOURCES dir to build the desired final binary rpm; so when only rebuilding a srpm, usually you don't have to mess with the things in SOURCES, but only edit / adapt the spec file (if needed, as in your case to enable udev and disable hal support in xorg) and then rebuild the whole thing:
"rpmbuild --bb name.spec" then will make for you the binary rpm you want.
If you like to have also the corresponding src.rpm file, you should use "rpmbuild --ba name.spec" (man rpmbuild is your friend here...).

GvM