ROSA Desktop Fresh R1 > Official KDE ISOs released!

News about ROSA
Alexander83
Utente
Utente
ROSA: -
OpenMandriva: -
Kernel: -
Desktop: Kde

ROSA Desktop Fresh R1 > Official KDE ISOs released!

Post by Alexander83 »

From Rosalab blog:
ROSA is glad to announce a new release of its distribution for the Linux community - ROSA Desktop Fresh R1.

ROSA Desktop Fresh R1 is a new name distributions based on the ROSA Fresh platform. The «R» series is targeted at advanced users and enthusiasts who will appreciate rich functionality and freshness of distribution components without serious loss of quality. This series is developed by ROSA with significant help of community. Users of ROSA Desktop Fresh 2012 are able to update their systems to ROSA Desktop Fresh R1 using official update mechanisms.

The new version has a set of important new features:

Windows Azure and Hyper-V Support

Microsoft Hyper-V support allows to deploy ROSA in public Microsoft Azure cloud data centers and private clouds used to organize virtual workstations. In the nearest future images that can be used to deploy ROSA in Azure «out of the box» will be published at VM Depot.

Steam Support

Possibility to connect the game service and get access to a large variety of high-quality Linux games. Steam requires proprietary NVIDIA or AMD video drivers.

Desktop Environment:

Thanks to new rasterizer from Adobe and Google, font smoothing has been improved significantly.

ROSA graphical theme has got a lot of modifications, including new decoration for window titles (with "shadow" support), renewed set of widgets included in RocketBar by default, brand-name ROSA Elementary theme for Chromuim/Google Chrome and updated QgtkStyleAlt theme engine with several bug fixes.

The primary desktop environment - KDE - has been updated to version 4.10.3 (the freshest one as of the end of the May, 2013). Besides the update itself, several issues have been fixed (including some upstream problems and regressions). Several localization issues have been fixed, as well.

Updated versions of the system with Gnome and LXDE desktop environments will be presented later.

Further development of ROSA brand-name applications and tools:

TimeFrame is now able to show video directly in the preview window.

TimeFrame is now integrated with KLook.

A new widget "All desktops" (Expo) has been added to RocketBar which displays all user desktops in a single grid. Number of virtual desktops available for user right after installation is increased from one to four.

ROSA Desktop Fresh R1 includes the new version of ROSA Media Player - 1.6 - with the following improvements:

Complete integration with YouTube, including video search, possibility to choose stream quality, etc.

Possibility to record presentation from display and add audio from microphone or line-in.

Improved IPTV support;

DVD menu support;

Significantly renewed module responsible for Internet browsing.

User-level Software Updates

Major user-level applications have been updated to the latest stable versions:

Libreoffice - 3.6.6

Firefox - 21

Thunderbird - 17.0.5

Chromium 27

System part

Kernel has been updated to 3.8.12

Added patches for X-Server 1.13.3 to improve monitor detection

Video drivers have been updated - Intel up to version 2.21.6, NVIDIA - 319.17 and NVIDIA304 304.88 (for cards prior to 8xxx), AMD Catalyst (fglrx) - 13.4

NetworkManager has been updated to the freshest version 0.98

System installer has got a new slide show

All repositories are now connected and enabled out of the box, so users can get system updates just after installation

In 64-bit systems, main and non-free repositories for 32-bit platform are enabled by default to make it possible to install such programs as skype, wine, teamviewer, steam and others that are absent in 64-bit repositories.

Updated Consolehelper to use the same configuration rules as upstream. Draksec tool (aimed to control access permissions for administration actions) has been rewritten to use new rules. All other programs that use consolehelper have been updated, too.

Consolekit и PolicyKit are completely dropped from the system. These components are obsolete and now they are replaced with systemd analogues. Session management is now performed by means of logind.

Urpmi and rpmdrake now don't calculate orphaned packages by default; this significantly speeds up package installation and removal.

Urpmi and rpmdrake now install updates more aggressively - when updating a single package, by default all its dependencies will be updated automatically.

'--download-all' option for urpmi is now set by default to avoid problems with large updates.

Systemd

Systemd has got patches to fix several issues and implement new features. Experimental support for hybrid sleep has been added.

The following subsystems have been completely migrated to systemd:

DM subsystems. Prefdm and lookupdm scripts have been dropped. Systemd services for the main DMs (KDM, GDM, SLiM, LightDM) have been added. Now one should run systemctl enable xyzdm.service to choose a DM systemctl disable xyzdm.service and to disable it. Note that configuration line in /etc/sysconfig/desktop related to DM selection is ignored from now on. DM can be also switched using drakedm.

Network subsystem: drakx-net has been completely dropped, we have also dropped network-up and network-auth parts from init scripts. Now we only have CLI (network) and NM subsystems.

pm-utils is replaced with systemd. For compatibility with KDE, a hybrid solution based on modified upower is used.

New users can download ISO images for installation here

Please reports any bugs and issues to our bugzilla

You can check list of known issues of the release here

ROSA experts are ready to answer your questions in our forum
Good download! ;)
Desktop: Kubuntu 64bit
Notebook Asus X53SD-SX191V: Kubuntu 64bit
Linux 4 Ever

GvMariani
Collaboratore
Collaboratore
ROSA: 2016.1 Fresh R10
Kernel: 4.19.13-nrj-desktop
Desktop: Plasma 5

Re: ROSA Desktop Fresh R1

Post by GvMariani »

Ale, la liste delle "known issues" è in russo...
(tu sei poliglotta, ma noi poveracci no) :D
Bisogna mettere "en" al posto di "ru" nella URL.

Visto che ci sono, segnalo anche un "problemino" causato da questo

Code: Select all

Consolekit and PolicyKit are completely dropped from the system
Peccato che questa cosa ha (almeno) due conseguenze:
* kshutdown non è più in grado di spegnere il PC (per questo infatti si appoggia a Consolekit)
* lo stesso KDE (almeno il Launcher classico) non mostra più la voce di menu "Shut Down" e permette solo il "Logout".
Con Pulfer stiamo cercando di capire perché succede (a me, ma non a lui) e come aggirare le due cose, ma per il momento la soluzione
sembrerebbe la reinstallazione di ConsoleKit...

GvM

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Re: ROSA Desktop Fresh R1 > Official ISOs released!

Post by NicCo »

A suggestion?
on R1, is chosen the demo 800x600 resolution mode to achieve a greater compatibility, but this resolution is wrong for the most part of displays... because is overall too low and with a wrong aspect ratio if you have a common 16/9 or 16/10 display

To work around this problem, from the first ISO screen, press the TAB, edit the grub boot line, looking for vga=788 and remove that string, then press ENTER, the grub will load in Auto mode, trying to determine by itself the best resolution and the right aspect ratio.

You can also edit vga=788, replacing 788 with 791 for 1024x768, 794 for 1280x1024, others > http://pierre.baudu.in/other/grub.vga.modes.html

Are already in preparation some testing ISOs, with several other video modes that you can choose from the first start up screen.

Un suggerimento?
su R1, viene scelto per una maggiore compatibilià la risoluzione demo di 800x600, che sinceramente a me non va proprio giù neanche come demo..., perchè troppo bassa per la maggior parte degli schermi, e con un errato aspect/ratio (immagini schiacciate) se si usa un diffuso display 16/9 o 16/10

Per ovviare al problema, dalla prima schermata delle ISO, premete il TAB, editate la riga del grub boot, cercando vga=788 e rimuovendo tale stringa, premere poi INVIO, il grub caricherà in Automatic mode, cercando di determinare da sè la migliore risoluzione e l'aspect ratio più adeguato.

Puoi anche editare vga=788, sostituendolo con 791 per 1024x768, 794 per 1280x1024, altri > http://pierre.baudu.in/other/grub.vga.modes.html

Sono già in preparazione delle ISO sperimentali, con diverse altre configurazioni video presenti proprio sulla prima schermata di avvio.

Grub2 graphic modes configuration
http://pierre.baudu.in/other/grub.vga.modes.html
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... with_GRUB2
http://askubuntu.com/questions/54067/ho ... resolution
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 1&start=15
http://www.intdblog.com/2009/09/grub-2- ... o-set.html

bye, NicCo
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL

Alexander83
Utente
Utente

Re: ROSA Desktop Fresh R1

Post by Alexander83 »

GvMariani wrote:Ale, la liste delle "known issues" è in russo...
(tu sei poliglotta, ma noi poveracci no) :D
Bisogna mettere "en" al posto di "ru" nella URL.
Ma che poliglotta! Non riesco neanche a parlare in italiano corretto! :lol:
Ho fatto copia e incolla dal rosalab blog e non mi ero accorto del bug! :P
Grazie a NicCo per la pronta modifica del link! ;)
Linux 4 Ever

gvedder
Nuovo utente
Nuovo utente
OpenMandriva: pwp 2010.1
Kernel: lastet mib
Desktop: kde 4.5

Re: ROSA Desktop Fresh R1 > Official KDE ISOs released!

Post by gvedder »

I just tried live version (no install) and two things happened: 1 drakconf-legacy needs hylafax, so no way to install in graphics mode. works fine from urpmi/konsole, ignoring deps. and Two can`t install my beloved task-compiz due lack of emerald.

Alexander83
Utente
Utente

Post by Alexander83 »

Linux 4 Ever

Dago68
Collaboratore
Collaboratore

Post by Dago68 »

:evil: It's really a pity not to have the feature to boot from usb key like big distros do also with persistence.

There are a lot of tablets or netbooks without cd/dvd.

People would avoid to spend money to burn CDs or DVDs.

Hope Rosa would consider this very important, in order to spread their distro around the world.

Dago68

Alexander83
Utente
Utente

Post by Alexander83 »

Dago68 wrote::evil: It's really a pity not to have the feature to boot from usb key like big distros do also with persistence.

There are a lot of tablets or netbooks without cd/dvd.

People would avoid to spend money to burn CDs or DVDs.

Hope Rosa would consider this very important, in order to spread their distro around the world.

Dago68
I have installed rosa desktop fresh R1 using this command:

Code: Select all

dd bs=4M if=/home/user/rosa-name.iso of=/dev/sdX
Linux 4 Ever

Dago68
Collaboratore
Collaboratore

Post by Dago68 »

Hi Alexander83,

maybe I found a better solution.

I called it ROSETTA :lol:

http://forum.rosalab.ru/en/viewtopic.ph ... 456#p17456

Regards

Dago68

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by NicCo »

Dago68 wrote:maybe I found a better solution.

I called it ROSETTA :lol:

http://forum.rosalab.ru/en/viewtopic.ph ... 456#p17456
Dago68 wrote: I call my pendrive ROSETTA

then I changed in syslinux directory two files:
isolinux.cfg
syslinux.cfg

inside these files where I foud CDLABEL=ROSA.FRESH.KDE.R1.x86_64 I changed in CDLABEL=ROSETTA
because we cannot rename a pendrive fat32 "ROSA.FRESH.KDE.R1.x86_64" it's too long !!!

ROSETTA is working but only with latest R1 release.

Only one problem left is to make a fat partition for EFI separated.
I know that the latest R1 ISOs have been prepared to be 100% syslinux compatible, and using the most recent version of that, so where before there were difficulties to boot in certain hardware, now they should boot and start properly pratically everywhere...

After you modify the label name into the two cfg files, what it changes?
  • Can you place several different ISOs into the same big USB memory?
    For example if you have a 8Gb or bigger USB stick, can you save all latest ROSA 32&64 nr.6 ISOs (KDE, Gnome an LXDE), then choosing the proper boot from only the one of these you need?
  • Can you use the free space from USB memory for saving data only or for real persistent partitions "/" & "/home"?
Please, can you write a detailed Guide in the dedicated proper place?
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by NicCo »

an important News about the USB and ISOs:

ROSA Imagewriter: bootable USB creating tool from ROSA devs
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=3993

rugyada
Amministratore
Amministratore
ROSA: ROSA.Fresh R8 64bit
OpenMandriva: OMLx 4.2
Kernel: kernel-release
Desktop: KDE tutta la vita

Post by rugyada »

Well...
This time (see complaints)

we finally have
First look at ROSA 2012 R1 "Desktop Fresh"
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20130624

courtesy of DW

hehe
ciauu ciauu, ruru

MIB... e le stelle stanno a guardare.
«E' bello avere delle certezze, tipo la terra gira, il sole è caldo, se ti prendi con quelli del MIB vieni fanculizzato. Cose semplici, in fondo» (M.C.)

viking60
Nuovo utente
Nuovo utente
OpenMandriva: 2010,1
Kernel: 2.6.33.5
Desktop: gnome

Post by viking60 »

Buongiorno guys

I wondered if you could point me to some place to download the expo (all desktops) widget?
I really would like to use it on my Arch KDE installs too...

Edit: No need - this is a regular kwin effect - I have found it.
Mandriva 2010.1 x86_64