Vote for the new name of the distribution!

News about OpenMandriva
NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Vote for the new name of the distribution!

Post by NicCo »

Source:
http://blog.mandriva.com/en/2012/07/05/ ... trubution/

here, to Vote > http://poll.pollcode.com/g9vn
The Road to the Foundation, episode 2: Vote for the new name of the distrubution!
Posted on July 5, 2012 by Charles Schulz

We have been busy behind the scenes determining the necessary processes and resouces needed for the future foundation. This is an ongoing work, but of course it’s not a closed process; it’s just that the group who met in Paris has a lot of homework to do before we can present a clear picture to the community, so that the community might be in charge of the foundation and of its own destiny. Today is the beginning of a new step in this direction.

Starting now, we have opened a poll that will let you pick the name of the future distribution (and its foundation). In the future, Mandriva as a brand name will remain the name of the company (Mandriva S.A.) but the community itself will have a different name and a different branding, although it is also possible that the brand and the name will keep a tight connection with Mandriva. We had to prepare the available choices; we came up with some names during the meeting in Paris, we also listened to some ideas expressed on the Foundation mailing list. Last but not least we left the possibility to send us suggestions for other names. If a suggestion appears to be really popular we will consider it provided it’s available of course.

How does the vote work? We are going to make it last for a full week. The poll starts now, at the present publication, and closes on Thursday the 12th of July at 13:30 CET (Paris time). It is available on this page but you can access it here as well. You have to vote for one name only, although you can of course send us suggestions at the email address shown in the poll. We have tried to come up with different kinds of names, from names sticking very much to Mandriva, to names that are reminiscent of it without sounding quite like Mandriva, and even names that are completely different. Everybody can vote and we hope the whole community will be able to express yourself!
bye, NicCo
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL

rugyada
Amministratore
Amministratore
ROSA: ROSA.Fresh R8 64bit
OpenMandriva: OMLx 4.2
Kernel: kernel-release
Desktop: KDE tutta la vita

Re: Vote for the new name of the distribution!

Post by rugyada »

This way of manage such important matter like the future name of distro & foundation is not the most professional and realistic one.

Did someone whisper MUGs?

First of all, there should be / have been involvement of MUGs representatives. Not only a bunch of people who by accident found theirselves able to afford a pleasant journey to Paris...

As a MUGs delegate, on behalf of MIB Community, I strongly disapprove.
ciauu ciauu, ruru

MIB... e le stelle stanno a guardare.
«E' bello avere delle certezze, tipo la terra gira, il sole è caldo, se ti prendi con quelli del MIB vieni fanculizzato. Cose semplici, in fondo» (M.C.)

rugyada
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by rugyada »

In addition, the name ATM leader in """"users"""" preferences, in Russian language means...
Manda – on Russian means woman genitals.
So Mandala is not good choice.
http://blog.mandriva.com/en/2012/07/05/ ... ment-24873

In Cooker mailing list some developpers already gave warning about this.

And last but not least, there may be lots of Mandriva opponents supporting ridiculous names out of hate or spite.
ciauu ciauu, ruru

«E' bello avere delle certezze, tipo la terra gira, il sole è caldo, se ti prendi con quelli del MIB vieni fanculizzato. Cose semplici, in fondo» (M.C.)

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by NicCo »

Yesterday I wrote to the foundation ML about this POLL (I did not even know about the views of Rugyada)

Here the contents of my letter sent to the foundation;
This POLL is very ridicolous and NOT professional:
IP based check is a very weak way... we're not stupid

you can reboot your router or modem and you could Vote again
you can open anonymizer web pages via proxy server, and VOTE, VOTE and VOTE again...

It's very ridicolous...

These should be called "Vote rigged"
Noone seems considering that, one exchanged my observation as a flame attempt, it's not my intention...

I have read also an interesting letter of Arvy Pingus to the foundation, speaking about the MUG partecipation
Hm, change goes always with some trouble. :)
A small group has to take initiatives in order to make some moves.
(But they have to listen carefully to their contributors)

About the name poll.
The absence of the name Mandriva Community Edition is a big miss.
it was mentioned earlier so it is a bit frustrating that it isn't an option.
As a user group representative I already organised a mini inquiry about the name and all input was to incorporate the name MANDRIVA, as it is a well established name already.

I like democracy, but like voters and representatives in parliament, I dislike the risk of sheer numbers in this open poll, without consulting the user groups (MUG).
The user groups represent hundreds/thousands of enthousistic users, most of them more than just occasional users.

Again, I urge for consulting the MUG delegates, in orther to smoothen some issues and to keep an open discussion in order to be transparant to the communitees.

At Mandriva.com there is already the MUG area, where everyone can read and follow discussions (and give their reactions in the user part of the forum).

Arvi Pingus
Dutch User Group
MandrivaClub,BE
MandrivaClub.NL

As for name, I have no particular preference but the name should have a right meaning for the most of people
In addition, the name ATM leader in """"users"""" preferences, in Russian language means...
Manda – on Russian means woman genitals.
So Mandala is not good choice.
http://blog.mandriva.com/en/2012/07/05/ ... ment-24873
then if for Russian the meaning is very inopportune, we should use a different name for respect towards them,

I remember You the Russians have replaced the name POCA with ROSA from Logo and other important parts
only to have a better and proper meaning in the most possible wide International area...

bye, NicCo
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL

oiram73
Utente senior
Utente senior
ROSA: -
OpenMandriva: 2014
Kernel: 3.19.8-nrjQL-realtim
Desktop: KDE 4.14.3

Post by oiram73 »

I love democracy! But I must admit: Mandala Linux is really really ugly ugly!
Democracy is lovely but not always the beauty creates another beauty! :( :(
De Andre said: "nothing is born from diamonds, the flowers arise from the muck"
OMA-2014
oiram/bin/selom
Da ognuno secondo le proprie capacità ad ognuno secondo i propri bisogni!

rugyada
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by rugyada »

NicCo wrote:I remember You the Russians have replaced the name POCA with ROSA from Logo and other important parts
only to have a better and proper meaning in the most possible wide International area...
The Russian friends are young -maybe- as a Company, surely as a Community, but they LISTEN!
They well know that all our remarks, suggestions, opinions are made in order to help, and they take them into account.
Which was not the case for Mandriva former management... and hope new Foundation/Community people in charge will learn from previous bad behaviour ;)
ciauu ciauu, ruru

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by NicCo »

interesting...
http://blog.mandriva.com/en/2012/07/05/ ... ment-24945
Per Øyvind Karlsen wrote:I think I can already promise everyone that neither OpenMandriva or Mandala Linux will actually receive any sufficient worth of consideration due to a numerous of issues ot the both more obvious kind and several other non-obvius ones..

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by NicCo »

At night a wrote that it's real trollecoaster from linux.org.ru and opennet.ru

Trolls rushed voting for "Mandala"
========================
User named Pavlinux tricked poll

see here
http://www.opennet.ru/openforum/vsluhfo ... 49.html#74

Mandala everywhere
<< User named Pavlinux tricked poll >>

and Shultz is starting having doubts
https://ml.mandriva.com/wws/arc/cooker/ ... 00108.html

Mine was not a troll attempt, mine was an observation with the right sense of objectivity, following the statistical laws those data that were received and how have been received, I mean about the time sequence, those data were clearly too improbable

what I do not understand is why others did not seem to realize...

So I was right!

yunanideniz
Utente junior
Utente junior
OpenMandriva: ONE Spring 2010.1
Kernel: 2.6.35.4 nrjpae . mi
Desktop: gnome

Post by yunanideniz »

Sorry friend mandala means too a old indian music il like ours ghregorians music... If in russian Manda means another thing dont worry.. I prefere Open Mandriva ...

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Post by NicCo »

The name would be not Open Mandriva, for many reasons...

read:
http://blog.mandriva.com/en/2012/07/05/ ... ment-24945
Per Øyvind Karlsen says:
July 7, 2012 at 10:09 am

Here’s a few years of discussion already: http://foundation.zarb.org/wiki/index.p ... ation/Name

Feel free to improve and any content you’d like to this wiki. <;o)

I think I can already promise everyone that neither OpenMandriva or Mandala Linux will actually receive any sufficient worth of consideration due to a numerous of issues ot the both more obvious kind and several other non-obvius ones..

So for whoever seems to be trying to spam Mandala Linux up to the top of the vote list, sorry, there's not really much of a point..
Personally I was the one who suggested Moondrake and it's what I've voted for as well, this has sufficiently strong ties and obvious enough to everyone from what comes and what's likely to expect, after all the *drak* branding has been pretty heavily utilized, with the trademark rights for "DrakX" (the name of the whole collection of the mandriva control center tools, installer etc.) expiring in the US back in 2010 after not being renewed.
So this should certainly help us reclaim some branding where ie. the mageia fork's "upstream" drakx fork claiming itself to be the upstream source without anything anywhere close to has been agreed on with the the actual & active upstream project (us).
If they wanna claim for themself to be drakx, they either have to join us sharing efforts on these tools or rename all their tools to avoid further confusion, stress and awkward friction..

Well that's my 2 cents and I guess I should apologize right away upfront about charging it with some political undertones which probably will (unfortunately) found to be offensive by several.. :|